cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change phones under a plan

ahlq1998
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hey I'm just wondering about if I could change a new phone within my plan. 
I'm currently still in my 2 years contract with fido for my iPhone X( which will end on September 2021.) sadly the phone just getting slow and keep shutting  down for no reasons. So I decided to buy an new iPhone from Apple directly and use the old SIM card. 

My question is am I able to do it? Thank you! 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Ahlq1998,

Welcome to the community!

If the SIM card size is the same for both those phones, you should be able to switch the SIM from your old phone to use with your new phone. You should note that you would still be required to continue paying off your old phone. Since your contract ends Sept 2021, it appears that you have a subsidised plan. That is, the cost of device is incorporated into the cost of plans. It is not possible to simply remove the subsidy from those plans. Once your phone is fully paid, your plan cost will not be reduced. You would need to switch to a plan without subsidy.

You should also note that Fido has recently switched from their subsidised plan model to a financed model (device cost and plan cost are separate). The old subsidised plans are not likely compatible with the new financed model so you would also need to switch to a new plan if you wished to finance a new phone in the future.

Additionally, if you had device protection, you should note that once you use your SIM card in your new phone, the protection would have transferred to that phone. Your old phone would no longer be protected.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers