cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use 3G, need help

anatoliy
I'm a participant level 1

Just bought Fido data plan for my HTC Desire HD Smartphone. But instead of 3G I have EDGE Internet which is too slow... Why it happened? How can I fix it? I was told I could use 3G internet... please help.

***Edited to add labels***

17 REPLIES 17

wShinEstaRi

So what 3G does Fido/Canada use then?? You just keep says what Fido does not use??

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have posted what 3G frequency fido uses in this thread. Fido uses the same frequency for 3g as they do for 2g. 850 mhz and 1900 mhz

icet925
I'm a participant level 2

I'm having the same issue too.

I got an xperia arc from hong kong.

I cannot connect to 3g or hspa network.

I can only use Edge. 

When I scan for network, I can only see Fido 2G.

What's the problem here?

icet925

I cannot connect with WCDMA which 3G runs on, but it can only use GSM.

This is really weird because I used the same sim card with my previous x10 and it works.

I am really confused.

Any pointers?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@icet925,

Check the freqency spec of  your phone.  I noted earlier in this thread what frequencies fido operates their 3G on, if your phone does not contain those 3G frequencies you will only connect to the 2G network, which internet runs over Edge.   Good Luck.

Raideen

I have a factory opened LG Optimus One whose specs are below. I also changed SIM card and entered the settings below. I get only EDGE but can't get 3G. Data is enabled and verified with Customer Service and in a FIDO store. No idea. can't use internet whenI need it. Its mostly email and maps for directions. I have the same settings on a LG Optimus GT540

LG Optimus Specs
2G Network     GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network     HSDPA 900 / 2100

FIDO APN Settings
Name: Fido Internet/MMS
APN type: default,mms
APN: fido-core-appl1.apn
Username: <not set>
Password: <not set>
Authentication type: <not set>
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
MMS proxy : 205.151.11.13
MMS port : 80

Tethering:
Name: Tethering
APN type: tethering
APN: fido.isp.apn
Everything else is <not set>

Anonymous
Not applicable
You just answered your own question by posting the specs. No phones in canada use 900 o 2100 3G

NiGHTsC

How about Wildfire S?

Europe/Asia: HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz; Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz; Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n); Bluetooth 3.0 with FTP/OPP, A2DP, PBAP

United States: CDMA 850/1900

If it says EDGE, it means it doesn't support 3G?

Time for sell?

dam it~~

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello anatoliy,

Here's some troubleshooting I may suggest:

- Remove your battery from your phone for a few minutes and put it back

- Go under Settings - Wireless & Network and make sure that Wifi  and Airplane mode are OFF

- Go under Settings - Wireless & Network - Mobile Networks and make sure that Disable data connection, Data roaming and Use only 2G networks are not checked (OFF)

- Make sure that you have the proper settings (APNs) within your phone under Settings - Wireless & Network - Mobile Networks - Access Point Names. The settings should be:

Name: Fido Internet/MMS

APN type: default,mms

APN: fido-core-appl1.apn

Username: <not set>

Password: <not set>

Authentication type: <not set>

Proxy: <not set>

Port: <not set>

MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca

MMS proxy : 205.151.11.13

MMS port : 80

- Make sure that you have a 3G SIM card. The most recent SIM card numbers start with 89302370201. You can find your SIM's number on the SIM itself.

Let us know how it goes!

Benyahuah
Thanks this was very helpful.

bernduk

I have a Nexus S phone and I just activated it 4Days ago when i subscribed on the CityFido Plan with 500MB of data. When i was at the store, BestBuy the mobile internet is working and it continued the next day as i test it. So i turned it off, then when i test it again today, I can't seem to use it anymore Sad Ive checked all of the settings above and everything seemed fine.

Pleas help.

Hello bernduk,

I am sorry to hear about your issues.

Have you tried the above mentioned troubleshooting? If so, then have you contacted customer service to make sure everything is as it should be within your Fido account?

Let us know!

el_chupacabra

Same problem here. Unlocked HTC Desire from Europe. Taking out the battery didn't help. Spent half an hour on Chat with Fido, the guy tried a bunch of things - no go. I'm getting EDGE instead of HDPA+, it's very slow. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

there is nothing physically wrong with your phone, the only thing you should be concerned about is you bought one that is indended for use in another part of the world.

Supported networks for HTC Desire HD (Europe):
HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Notice the HSPA/WCDMA bands your phone supports?  none of which fido operates on, thats why you only get GSM which uses Edge for data. Sorry to hear.

mehularora

what does fido operate on ...i have unlocked htc desire hd from India...which says

Network 4

• 3G: 900/2100 MHz
  • GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

I am confused...its not HSPA etc....its just 3g...so where is the problem...why does my network of $25 fido internet work only on edge...its really slow....please clarify what does fido really work on then....coz this phone is not hspa.

Thanks

Mehul.

Anonymous
Not applicable

mehularora,

fido 3g uses the same bands as 2g, you need a phone with 850 and 1900 mhz to operate on fido.  your phone uses 3g but a different band, those bands 900 and 2100 are not even authorized for canada.  rule of thumb, if your gonna use a phone here, check the frequencies of the country it works on before you buy it, lot of people will sell you anything to make a sale,

el_chupacabra

Thanks Paolo for the follow-up. If it is indeed the case that my phone is "intended for use in another part of the world", then it's pretty ridiculous. I bought a "mobile" phone because I am indeed "mobile": sometimes I'm in Europe, sometimes I'm in North America. I don't know if Fido or HTC are to blame here, but either way, it's pretty bad.