cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have international outgoing calls disabled on my Fido Home Phone?

DOrtiz
I'm a participant level 2

There are some family members that are mistakenly making outgoing calls to U.S. Numbers (magic jack phones) and I'm getting charged for it. Is there a way I can just have my home phone service set up to prevent calls from being made to international phone numbers? Something along the lines where if they try to make a call to a non-Canadian number, they hear a voice message saying "I'm sorry, the call you're trying to make... etc"

***Edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Roskov
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

There are 2 blocks that can be added.

First one blocks international calls,  but will not block countries with +1 as country code. Which means USA and some Caribbean numbers.

Second one will block any sort of long distance and allow only local calls.

In your case unfortunetely the only way to block US calls would be to add the second block, but it means you will no longer be able to make LD calls in Canada, even tho they are included for you.

DOrtiz
That's unfortunate. I guess I'll just have to continue to give family some friendly reminders. Thanks for the quick reply!

TheOrangeGuy
I'm experienced level 2
I'm experienced level 2
Small tip that may help is to not add the 1 in front of the number. That way, you'll get the message that this is a long-distance call and that charges will apply. That said, you will get the same message even if you call a Canadian number and that Can. long-distance are included in your plan. Small annoyance, but something that could help.