cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Torch won't get data

kevinjanes
I'm a participant level 2

Hey everyone, I just got an unlocked Blackberry Torch. I can make and receive calls but I can not get any data. I put in the internet.fido.ca and the fido fido name and password. It is set to rome. It is on the 3G network right now. I have the Blackberry Data package. Fido is not helping because it is not a Fido phone and Blackberry says Fido does not have that data service pack, but I know other people are using Torch's on Fido. I've spent hours trying to fix this and hundreds of dollars for this phone. Can someone please help me out? 

7 REPLIES 7

kareembibi
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I was having a similar problem with an unlocked Blackberry.

Do you see a little triangle sign next to the Fido network name?

If so, then your phone, like mine, thinks that it is roaming. I have another post about this issue.

To get data you'll need to go to the "Manage Connections" menu -> "Mobile Network Options" -> Set "Data Services" and "While Roaming" to ON.

If you then see the little Blackberry logo next to your signal strength indicator, then your data is working. Don't worry you won't be charged for roaming, just make sure you set the roaming option to OFF when you actually travel.

silentbuddha
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Fido does have Blackberry data plans and it will work on your torch. Although the BB service offered by fido is BIS and not BES ( you can google to learn about the difference between BIS and BES )

BB Data addones : http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/Smartphones#addonsbb

Anonymous
Not applicable

re-send your service books

silentbuddha
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

@Paolo....your suggestion was an easier option...LOL..never came up in my mind !

kevinjanes

Thanks for all the help! I've had my service books resent to me and it still didn't work. I am starting to think Fido has me set up wrong but since the Torch is not their phone we all know what they are saying.

Hello Kevinjanes,

Welcome to the Fido Technical  community,

In order to verify you have the correct data plan on your account please try this.

On the device, go to Options > Network and Connections> Mobile Networks>

Change the following :

Data service: ON

While Roaming: ON

Network selection Mode : Automatic

Switch the Network mode to 2G only

Now go back to the main menu.

You should notice that the device will no longer show 3G. It will say either GSM or edge or EDGE or gprs or GPRS.

I suggest you wait 2 minutes then post back with your results.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Double check to make sure you are on the correct data package.  Verify your monthly bill, or call in and have the CSR confirm you are indeed on the BlackBerry Data option.  I have seen a few cases where they have mistakenly put someone on the regular 500MB and NOT the 500MB BB data plan. They're only human, they make mistakes too,  but if thats not the case, you can have the CSR do some troubleshooting with you while you are on the phone with them. Be sure to call them from a landline incase they make you take out the battery/sim of your BB.

Hope This Helps.