cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlackBerry 9550 caller ID displays "unknown number"

johnny0831
I'm a participant level 2

I have a Bell Blackberry 9550 that has been unlocked.  I have been using this BB with a Fido sim card for over a week and everything works fine until couple days ago when caller ID displays "unknown number" for all incoming calls.  For testing I called my BB from my work cell phone and home phone and both shows up as "unknown number".  I then pulled out the sim card from the BB and inserted into my spare phones (Samsung Jack and iPhone) and the phone numbers in the call display show up.

Anyone knows why the BB call display was working previously but now it's not working?  I tried turning the phone off and turning it back on but still doesn't resolve the call display issue.  I know I have subscription to call display because call display works on my Samsung Jack and iPhone when I pulled the sim card out from the BB and insert into those two phone.

***Edited to add labels***

8 REPLIES 8

johnny0831

Ok here's additional information to my "unknown number" call display.  Today I did a test on my Blackberry 9550 Storm 2 with my co-workers and office phone.  Call display on my Storm 2 shows my office phone number so I know it's working.  Co-worker A has a Fido phone and he calls me and my Storm 2 shows his phone number.  Co-worker B has a Rogers phone and calls me on my cell phone and displays her phone.  But why doesn't it shows my home phone and my work cell phone (Bell Mobility)?  These are the unknown number on my Storm 2 call display.  When I called Co-workers with my work cell phone my work cell phone number comes up on their call display.

Hello johnny0831,

Welcome to the Fido technical community,

Your unlocked Blackberry 9550 Storm 2. Could be the cause of this issue. The device was not unlocked properly. Using an unlock device on the fido network will cause caller ID issue.

As you mention, when you place your sim card in a Samsung Jack or an Iphone you no longer have this issue for any number.

We're not able to guarantee Call display on an unlock device.

Unfortunately, this is beyond our scope of support.

pablo85
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

only phones unlocked for the princely sum of $50 by Fido will perform properly on the Fido network.

Anonymous
Not applicable

no need to listen to pablo's rediculous comments,  just try the s/w update and lettus know if it helped.

AIPC
I'm a participant level 1

I have the same problem. Fido doesn't help to resolve this issue at all. I downgrade the phone software and then upgrade didn't solve this problem. What do we do????

Anonymous
Not applicable
put your SIM card in a Fido Branded phone, and receive a call, what is the Caller ID that comes up? if its working? then the caller id info is being properly transmitted by the network, put the sim back in your 9550 and receive a call, no caller id info? maybe your device has a older Software Version that has a known bug in it, updating the firmware might fix this, or... your device was not tested or did not meet any of Fido's engineering criteria, thus the phone was not approved for use on the network, I would question the product and what market it came from?

cychina

I have same porplem, I place my sim card in a unlock blackberry 8310, it can disply caller ID. why?

Anonymous
Not applicable

try updating the software on your blackberry, perhaps if a newer software is available, it might have a fix in it.