cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bahamas (BTC) sim card...unlocked' phone: no go

wlw
I'm a participant level 2

Purchased Sony ericicsson GSM phone from Fido.Dec 2010..\Waitied the 30 days to have phone unlocked.Jan2011

Paid Fido to unlock phone. billed Feb 2011

Bought SImcard from BTC(Bahamsa Telco) March 2011

Inserted card

Message on phone"Insert correct SIm Card".  No connection.

Is this an indication that the phone is not unlocked?

i am in the Bahamas for 4 months without a phone....any help or suggestions/  How frustrrating to get technical supprot from FIDO.

***Edited to add labels***

5 REPLIES 5

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

Yes, that message on a SE means it is still locked. I think if you put your Fido SIM back in your phone you can call Fido without charge, and find out if they did the unlock and/of if they will generate a new unlock code for you. From Fido's website, on contacting them from overseas:

To contact Fido while you are travelling outside Canada, call +1-514-933-3436(from U.S.) or +1-514-925-4590 (from abroad). The call will be free of charge from your Fido. Our business hours are weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m., and weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).

Once you are through, ask for the unlock dept again and explain the problem.

wlw

I talked with FIDO and they gave me a new unlock code.  I entered the correct sequence but did not get expected results.

Hit Left * * Left on your device.
Once this sequence is entered, a prompt will be displayed with several options. 
(only 3 options see below)
Select "Network".

MNC 3 will then need to be selected, at which point you'll need to enter your unlock code.

Once this has been entered correctly the device will be unlocked.

The options were 1. Network 2. Network Subset and 3. Corporate.  The first two had an unlocked padlock symbol and the 3.coporate had a locked padlock symbol.  When I selected Network as above, did not see MNC, rather NCK prompt was displayed.  When I entered the unlock code, and pressed ok, message Not Allowed

I do remember when I purchasedd the phone the FIDO salesperson said "Make sure Customer Services does 4 codes not just one.  I wonder if there should be yet another code for the Corporate unlock?

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello wlw,

I am sorry to learn of your difficulties while unlocking your handset.

I would suggest that you call once again our Device Unlocking team for them to troubleshoot this matter with you.

I would also suggest that you call them from a phone other than your Fido. We accept collect calls at our international number which is +1-514-925-4590.

I hope that it gets resolved as soon as possible.

Let us know! Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had my phone unlocked by an indipendant cellstore in a Fli market once, this was when I didn't know much about cellphones or unlocking.  Walked out with my newly unlocked phone, then my friend suggested to go back and ask to try a different carrier SIM to make sure, so we went back within 5 mins and what do you know, the phone was still locked.  Since I paid for a service, I said I will not leave until I try a different carrier SIM to confirm the service I paid for was granted, he wasn't too happy bout wasting 30 mins trying to unlock it but I didn't care I got my moneys worth for it, and taught him a lesson not to scam people.

End of Story

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

???

So you are saying Fido scammed him?