cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch LTE - any hope?

JustWondering
I'm a participant level 3

Is there any hope that Fido will add support soon for Apple Watch LTE? I came back to Fido a year ago but lack of support is making me think one of the main carriers would be better, and that doesn't have to mean Rogers. Fido has all of the technical pieces in place, so not supporting it is really just disrespecting Fido customers. Does Fido not want the extra revenue?

I expect I'll get the boilerplate response but it would be helpful if a staff member would go above and beyond and instead of giving the canned and meaningless response, provide a meaningful, useful answer. Even if that is something like "I've heard in a few weeks/months", "it will never happen, port to another carrier if you want it", "we've heard you and it is coming shortly". Anything other than the boilerplate.

11 REPLIES 11

AtomX
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

A lot of the arguments carried here for FIDO not supporting add-on $10 plans for the LTE Apple Watch are disingenuous.

I've had conversations with FIDO reps on the phone asking them when they will support the LTE Apple Watch and they said... they do now. After I asked them if they support the Watch using internet, they said that they put no restrictions on the watch. 

It took me a few pointed questions to get them to admit that they do not carry Apple Watch cellular data plans... but that their parent company does.

It's clear that Fido didn't want people to think they do NOT support the watch.

The reality is that it is almost certainly NOT about overhead costs... it is about pushing higher value customers ( willing to pay $10 for an LTE plan for the Watch ) to their expensive carrier.

We really need a provider to step up to the plate and offer a data-only Apple Watch plan.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello JustWondering,

Welcome to the community!

I understand you don't want to hear the same answers. However, no one here is going to be able to provide the kind of answer you want. No one here will be privy to whether or not Fido decides to carry the watch or provide plans for smartwatches. Even if there are people in the community who are apprised of that information, they would not be able to disclose that information until it's been publically announced on Fido.ca.

Any updates regarding support for the Apple Watch or smartwatches would be posted on Fido.ca

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

jlits
I'm experienced level 2
I'm experienced level 2

@Cawtau @JustWondering  I also don't understand why they wont release apple watch plans because they already have e-sim technology and activation ability. I get that Fido is a 2nd tier provider but its not like Rogers just got this feature this month. Fido will only make changes if more pressure and phone calls are made to them regarding this. So please keep up the pressure and lets hope they get it soon! I have been loyal to Fido for over 15 years and wouldn't want to have to switch for a 10 dollar per month add on

download.jpg

Hello Jlits,

@jlits wrote:...wouldn't want to have to switch for a 10 dollar per month add on

If you've read the reply I just posted above, it's not just the cost of the service add on which needs to be considered. Adding additional devices to their line-up would more than likely result in a general price increase for everyone. There's a reason there tends to be the price differential between the flanker brands and their parent counterparts. They offer different services and options.

I'm not saying Fido won't later decide to offer smartwatches and associated plans. However, if they do, be ready for the cost of plans to be more expensive and more similar to that of the parent providers.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

JustWondering

I get that users here won’t know anything, but it’s certainly possible for staff to try to get permission to provide some additional info.

anyway, it just makes little sense for Fido not to offer it, given they can. When else does a carrier say “sorry customers, even though we have the service and you want the service and you are offering to pay extra for it, we simply do not want the extra revenue”. Seems like an odd business decision, from a common sense, customer and revenue perspective.

Hello again,

@JustWondering wrote:...I get that users here won’t know anything, but it’s certainly possible for staff to try to get permission to provide some additional info...

As mentioned above, even if they are privy to the information, staff won't have permission to discuss business details which have not already been made public on Fido.ca. It's no different from any other businesses' internal workings. Employees can't discuss any business details which are not already in the public domain. You're hoping to act on information which has not yet been disclosed to the public. In financial circles, that could be construed as similar to insider trading.

@JustWondering wrote:...When else does a carrier say “sorry customers, even though we have the service and you want the service and you are offering to pay extra for it, we simply do not want the extra revenue”...

People wanting the devices and service may be willing to pay extra for it, but how about everyone else? Adding a new device to their line-up -- whether it be a phone, tablet, or smartwatch -- necessarily increases their overhead costs. They need to purchase the devices and keep inventory of those devices. That added expense is not only going to be spread across people who want the device, it's going to be added to all plans and services. A general price increase for everybody.

Generally, the flanker providers are cheaper than their parent providers. I'm guessing that's a possible reason why you don't want to leave Fido. As far as I am aware, none of the flanker providers offer the Apple Watch or smartwatch plans. Streamlining their device line-up is one way they can keep costs lower for their customers.

If Fido does not offer any smartwatches (Apple Watch or other) in their line-up, they're not likely to offer a smartwatch plan for something they do not carry.

Will they decide to carry the devices and provide the service in the future? Perhaps, but you'll need to keep an eye on Fido.ca

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

JustWondering

@Cawtau I'll humbly disagree. It's not like insider trading, which is prohibited by securities laws internationally. It's properly asking for permissions to say firmly yes or no. That's it. No wrong doing. No one going to jail. No police knocking on their door.

I've been back with Fido for a year and have no problem leaving. I bounce between carriers pretty frequently, so you're pretty far off the mark about "why I don't want to leave Fido", because there is no why. I'll leave as soon as my tab is paid off in a year (that's a mistake all my own, having stayed away from contracts for years) when I am plan shopping again. No, instead, I am asking because I am a customer and I am interested in the service they are fully setup to provide. Lacking basic services like this will perhaps accelerate the process. No big deal. Thought I would ask why they are so interested in losing customers and revenue, when they already can support it and offer it right now, today. It's a puzzling business decision.

As far as the "extra overhead" excuse, well, that's just silly. They are Rogers and Rogers is them. There is literally $0 overhead for Fido to flip the switch. I can go to a regular Esso or an Esso Express  and while the "premium" station might have a fancier car wash, both can sell ketchup chips with no additional overhead because the infrastructure, information and systems are all completely in place. Or two store with identical point of sale systems, sharing the same backend. One enables tap-to-pay on their terminals and the other doesn't, even though it costs them nothing and the system is fully in place. Why disrespect the customer like that? Seems odd.

And finally, why would they limit themselves to only providing service for hardware they sell? They are a service provider primarily.  Not providing service for hardware they don't sell would be like Rogers only proving TV service for their TVs or Esso only selling gas for Esso cars. If you are correct, and some exec said "hey boys, great idea here...let's only sell service for hardware well sell", how long do you think he'd stay employed if his name wasn't Rogers? I'd bet less than an hour. 

I appreciate what you are trying to say. But honestly, they probably don't need any help making excuses.

Hello again,

@JustWondering wrote:..It's not like insider trading, which is prohibited by securities laws internationally. It's properly asking for permissions to say firmly yes or no. That's it. No wrong doing. No one going to jail. No police knocking on their door....

I apologise, I was not suggesting it was illegal. And for the record, I didn't say it was insider trading. I said it was similar to it. You want non-public information to make your decision. It still stands that they won't be able to discuss whether or not Fido decides to carry smartwatches until it's been publically announced on Fido.ca

@JustWondering wrote:..As far as the "extra overhead" excuse, well, that's just silly. They are Rogers and Rogers is them. There is literally $0 overhead for Fido to flip the switch. I can go to a regular Esso or an Esso Express  and while the "premium" station might have a fancier car wash, both can sell ketchup chips with no additional overhead because the infrastructure, information and systems are all completely in place. Or two store with identical point of sale systems, sharing the same backend. One enables tap-to-pay on their terminals and the other doesn't, even though it costs them nothing and the system is fully in place....

You seem to have missed the point. What you have described is the service aspect of carrying the device. And you're right, there is little additional cost there. In addition, those costs would be solely on those people who wish for the service in the form of a smartwatch plan.

On the other hand, I noted that the increase in overhead was the due to having to stock additional inventory. It's not an excuse. It's the reality of business. Look at Loblaws and No Frills. Both are owned by Loblaws. Presumably they have the same supplier. Loblaws tends to carry more selection in the items they offer. You are not going to be able to find that specialty Black Label Olive Oil or fancy anchovies at No Frills. However, the overall prices at No Frills are generally cheaper than Loblaws. Ask No Frills why they don't carry the specialty products. Chances are they'll tell you that to keep costs lower for customers, they have to be selective in the products they offer.

Why do you think the flanker brands are generally cheaper than their parent counterparts? They offer different options and services.

@JustWondering wrote:..And finally, why would they limit themselves to only providing service for hardware they sell? They are a service provider primarily.  Not providing service for hardware they don't sell would be like Rogers only proving TV service for their TVs or Esso only selling gas for Esso cars...

I'm sorry, but your examples are flawed. You're right, Rogers does provide cable services for any compatible television. However, cable providers never sold televisions. They never even carried televisions. Similarly, gas stations have never sold or carried cars. On the other hand, ever since the introduction of cellular phones, mobile providers have provided devices which worked on their networks. Fido/Rogers offered GSM devices; Bell and Telus offered CDMA phones. Being able to use devices on different networks is a relatively more recent development. But no, they don't limit services to hardware they sell. There are many unlocked devices using the services which are not sold by Fido. However, there is an expectation that the devices a mobile provider offers will work on their network and if they offer a service, they will also offer devices which can use that service.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

JustWondering

You seem focused on them selling the watch. No one has asked for that. We are asking for them to support it and provide service for them. Just like Rogers sells services for devices they don’t sell. Therefore no extra overhead. $0. Just like Loblaws and no frills can both support Apple Pay, it would be daft for no frills to say they won’t support Apple Pay just to spite their customers.

And it’s only non-public until someone gets permission to make it public, hence asking for some to ask for permission. Simple.

Hello again,

@JustWondering wrote:...Just like Rogers sells services for devices they don’t sell..

Rogers does not offer MOBILE services for devices they do not sell.  **edit** To clarify, Fido/Rogers do provide cellular services for unlocked devices not sold by either Fido or Rogers. Rogers offers a Smartwatch plan because they also sell the Apple Watch**

@JustWondering wrote:  Just like Loblaws and no frills can both support Apple Pay, it would be daft for no frills to say they won’t support Apple Pay just to spite their customers...

Not even relevant.

@JustWondering wrote:..And it’s only non-public until someone gets permission to make it public, hence asking for some to ask for permission. Simple.

Yes. And when they get permission to make it public, it will be posted on Fido.ca. Simple.

Cheers

jlits
I'm experienced level 2
I'm experienced level 2

@JustWondering  I couldnt agree more I just want them to add the option already for apple watch!

Please fido!