cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Security Patches

crsmejia
I'm a contributor level 1

Why does Fido/Rogers drag their feet on security patches issued by manufacturers? I have an LG G5 with current security patch 2016-05-01 it is now September. Though June and August ones were not critical to my LG device, the July patch did have two critical vulnerabilities that were patched. Security patches are not OS updates as they can be pushed separately.

8 REPLIES 8

Torresgo
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello

Has anyone got the latest lg g5 security updates? The manufacturer has already released in September and October. But Fido 's latest update dates back to may. 

Hello Torresgo,

Welcome to the community!

When you say the manufacturer has already released the update, do you mean LG or LG Canada (see here)? As far as I can tell, LG Canada hasn't released any recent security updates. Your best option is to contact LG Canada directly. If the security updates are not being provided by LG Canada, then it's not possible for the mobile providers to forward an update.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

crsmejia
I take the feet dragging comment back. There is 573MB update that takes care of security and other things under the hood. Thank you Fido as security is important.

Thanks a lot, @crsmejia! We think security is important too Smiley

10cc
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1
If you want monthly security patches you on the wrong carrier. As just admitted they wait and do them with OS updates and that is outrageous, get a Google phone or change providers. I like timely security patches so I am eager for one or the other ASAP.

FidoTerry
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Welcome to the community  @crsmejia! 

We usually patch any security issues with the OS. We want to make sure that everything is running smoothly before we make any changes on your phone. You can check the OS schedule here

soglen
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Security is probably more important than smoothness. I respectfully disagree with Fido's policy.

Hello Soglen,

I responded to your other post here.

Unfortunately, if the security updates are not provided by the phone manufacturers, the mobile providers will not be able to forward the updates.

Are you sure security patches were provided by LG G5?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers