cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I connected to EDGE or Wi-Fi? Is data being used?

MiraP
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I got a blackberry yesterday after having an Iphone for almost a 2 years now.
I connected to Wi-Fi on my blackberry but on the top right hand cornor is still says EDGE (in uppercase letters). It says Fido - (My Wi-Fi name). I don't have a data plan and don't want one because everywhere I go I have access to Wi-Fi..
I'm just curious if I'm going to be charged for using 'data' if the "EDGE" is on in the right hand cornor even thought it appears I'm connected to Wi-Fi.

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello MiraP and fei,

Please note that if you see your WiFi's network name next to Fido on the main screen, it mean that you are connected to the WiFi network mentioned, even if it says in the top right hand corner that you are connected to EDGE.

When it says that you are connected to EDGE or 3G on your handset, it simply means that should you not be on WiFi, this is the type of connection you would get.

Also, if you do not have a data option, your handset will not connect to the internet by itself. It will always ask you to purchase a data option or a data pass as Fido does not offer pay per use data anymore.

I hope this clarifies the matter for you.

fei
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

if you're seeing the big E or edge you are using fidos data network and you'll be charged accordingly. if you're not willing to pay for data remove the fido wap, gprs and mms access points from your phone and any time in the future that you do access the internet it will prompt you everytime to use a specific wifi connection; this comes in handy if you're at home in a coffee shop or school with hotspots. you can also opt to get a day pass for the internet which is rather affordable.