cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alcatel Go Flip 3 and Text Entry

sprocket999
I'm a contributor level 1

Last month I bought an Alcatel Go Flip 3 for my wife to replace her now-bricked 2G Motorola Reuse (which served her well for ages). Anyhow, when setting up her Contacts, she noticed she could only enter in the numerals, yet the text field above for the contact name would not allow her to enter text (???). For that matter, texting was a no-go as well.

In looking into this a bit further, apparently this is a 'timestamp issue' that happened at the start of this new year (2021). The issue is noted on Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/KaiOS/comments/koky4v/help_my_keyboard_is_only_typing_expired_on/ ) and 'apparently' a fix in the form of an update was supposed to have been issued January 14th of this year. So far I've heard nothing. Emails to KaiOStech (creator of the OS) have been met with boiler-plate responses, and Alcatel has yet to respond. Two weeks later. Soooooooooo . . . 

Has anyone here, or at Fido heard of this issue; are aware if this update is actually released; are aware of a remedy; or can suggest a fix? The temp fixes in the Reddit thread haven't worked.

3 REPLIES 3

sprocket999

Hello FidoJulien,

Thanx for the insight. I will do. Curious though, you folks must have sold more than just mine since December 31st, 2020, am I getting a sense this is new to Fido? I see no one else having this inquiry in the rest of the forum boards. (Admittedly, feature phones aren't probably big sales any longer.)

Regardless, no reply necessary, and again—thanx for the insight. I'll follow up with Alcatel.

Kind regards.

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @sprocket999

I'm sorry to read you're having trouble with your wife's device. The best option at this point would be to get in touch with Alcatel at 1-855-844-6058.

sprocket999

Hi Julien,
While in here for something else that isn't being found, I saw your reply.

The fact is, in order to contact and follow-up with Alcatel, I needed to set up a 'user account' from the phone, that required an email address. Without the alpha portion of texting, I can't do it. Pooched, so to say.

Next step a few weeks later was another brand of phone, connected to another carrier. My wife is pistol-hot you guys were flogging defective product, and did not demand a workable solution from Alcatel. Sorry again—Fido is down to 3 out of 5 stars with us now.