cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating a new SIM card on My Account.

vinnyg35
I'm a participant level 1

Hello I am having trouble activating a new SIM card. My phone was stolen from me and I have lost the SIM card I was using.

To change your SIM card, the website tells me that I need to type in my current SIM number, but I don't have it.

I tried calling an agent but he told me I need the account holder (my mother) even though I have authorized access. Then what he told me was that I could easily go on the website and activate the new one without the need for my old SIM number.

However one would that, I can't seem to figure it out. Anybody?

13 REPLIES 13

sjelaca

I just tried this and no, you cannot update your sim card without the old sim number.

I just checked and you're totally right @sjelaca

Thanks for updating this thread! 

Did you need help activating a new SIM card?

If so, let me know and we'll send you a PM:) 

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a known issue with the online sim swap tool, you might have to A) call in and have a CSR swap your SIM or B) do it via online chat or C) do it by private message with a Fido Community employee

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Community! 

I know this is a bit of an older post but I wanted to share some updates on this topic.

You can now change the active SIM card on your phone line without having the previous SIM card number. You can get the exact step-by-step on how to do this right from here

A couple of important key points on this: 

- Any changes to your SIM card number will take effect immediately and are irreversible.

- Your old SIM card cannot be reactivated or reused in the future.

- You can only change the SIM card for a postpaid line on My Account. These kinds of changes for a prepaid line have to be done by customer service on our end. You can reach out to us by checking out our Contact Us page. 

I hope this helps! Smiley 

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Vinnyg35,

Welcome to the community!

I am sorry that you were told that it is possible to update your SIM online. You do require your old SIM card number in order to do so online. Since you do not have your old SIM card number, you would indeed need to contact customer service to have this done. I would suggest having the account holder contact us to update the SIM and to ensure that you are listed as an authorized user on the account.

Hope this help!

bluejay789

I was told to call from my home phone to activate but cannot get through

Hey @bluejay789 !

Were you able to activate your sim card ?

You can reply to our PM if you still need help with this situation.

kzj78

It is very disappointing that people are told from the fido store by a fido representative that you can activate your phone under these circumstances online.  I dropped my phone in a pit of water 20 feet deep and it is gone.  I explained this to the rep at the store and they sold me a new sim but because I didn't have my postal code (its a company account and I couldn't remember) they said I could take it home and register it online.  Well, now that I have found this posting I know that this can't be done.

Thanks for nothing Fido.

Stevo55
I'm a participant level 2

Dealing with the same garbage. I've even found/entered my last sin number with my new sins number online and it tells me one of them doesn't exist. Retyped both numbers perfectly.. new SIM in phone old one in front of me. Sorry good but you guys are **bleep**ting the bed lately. Its Hard for me to enter my old sim card number if your system won't accept what it's asking. Oh how I wish the government would audit public service industry's like the police, power and phone company's. Thank God I've recently had an extremely positive and helpful interaction with one of your phone reps otherwise like everyone else id want to switch providers (they're all the same anyway)

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey kzj78!

In your case, it seems as though you did have the old SIM.

I wish to clarify that if you have both the new SIM and the one that's active on the account, you can update your SIM on My Account.

Stevo55

Yeah I thought so too.

Hey @Stevo55!

Were you able to activate your SIM card? 

You can reply to our PM if you still need help with this!

Hey @Stevo55

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

Sorry to learn you're having trouble with activating your SIM. 

I'll send you a PM so we can help with that. 

Chat soon!