cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A 2G question

sprocket999
I'm a contributor level 1

My wife has an older Motorola 'Renew' bar phone that we bought her from Fido a number of years back. It has been perfectly serviceable for her needs, but my understanding is that at the end of this month 2G service is over. Will that mean her phone will be now a brick?

If so, I guess it is a call to Custmer Service to order an Alcatel Go-flip. Pity this can't be done on the Fido website. Plan stays the same.

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Sprocket999,

Welcome to the community!

Once the GSM sunset has occurred, any device which is 2G only will not work anymore. As far as I am aware, the Motorola Renew is a 2G device. As such, it won't be able to access the networks once GSM has been decommissioned.

Do you get an error when trying to order the Alcatel Go-flip? Are you trying to order the device via her My Account? She should be able to keep her plan the same if the phone is purchased outright on her account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

sprocket999

Hello Cawtau,

1. Thank you for the confirmation. As I suspected.

2. Yes—the website doesn't have an option for 'keep existing plan' for rather obvious reasons 😂.

I'll give Customer Service at 611 a dingle and place the order. Thanks muchly for your quick and helpful response!