cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90-Day Unlock Period

sjs0331
I'm a participant level 2

I am annoyed and confused as to why there is a 90-day waiting period to unlock a phone. I was going to upgrade my phone to an LG G4 (meaning I'd sign a new 2-year contract), but they refuse to unlock my phone and I'm going home to the states in a month.

Luckily for me I can buy my phone on Amazon which comes unlocked. I just don't understand why this policy is in place? Especially for customers who are RE-signing a contract. 

It's bad enough that Fido has such limited phone options, but now this? 

Has anyone had any luck getting around this ridiculous policy?

Thanks.

*edited to add labels*

5 REPLIES 5

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @sjs0331

Why not unlock your current phone so that you can use it in the States and still upgrade to the LG G4 ? 

sjs0331

My current phone is a Nexus 5 and is already unlocked. However, the battery on it needs to be recharged 3-4 times in a day to even be functional and it constantly freezes. The phone is essentially almost dead.

The 90 days unlock policy was implemented by the CRTC not Fido. Before that carriers never unlock or if they did it was after your contract is up so the 90 days is actually better than how it was before.

You can always get the phone unlock from a third party company if you do not want to wait 90 days.

sjs0331

I didn't realize this was implemented by the CRTC. I still think its a terrible policy, but I guess I understand.

I wish Fido sold the newer Nexus phones.

Fido is actually selling the Nexus 6p but for some reason they choose not to advertise it on the website. If you call customer service or visit a BestBuy store you can get it.