cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perfect Pumpkin Pie

thePoodleFarmer
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

It's that time of year, pumpkin spice and everything nice. If you have a great pumpkin pie, then read no further. 

If you haven't tried, or tried and failed, here are my handy no-fail instructions.

You need to go to a grocery store. if you don't have a pie dish stop at the Sally Anne or Goodwill and get two nice ones for a buck or $2 each.

1. the Crust

No frozen, pre-made pre-baked shell will do. Making a perfect flaky crust is super easy. Go to the grocery store in the baking aisle and get a big yellow brick of Tenderflake pure lard. Some flour, salt, an egg, water and a bit of vinegar. EVERYTHING you need to know to make a perfect pie crust is on the box - open it up and the illustrations are inside. Don't substitute, don't leave anything out.

2. the Filling

While you are at the grocery store, get a can of E.D. Smith pure pumpkin. And a can of Carnation evaporated milk. Same aisle as the lard!! The rest of the ingredients list is written on the outside of the ED Smith pumpkin can label. The instructions to make a perfect filling for 2 pies is on the inside of the label. Open it up and follow the instructions.  Don't substitute, don't leave anything out.

3. the Bake

Follow the instructions. When a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry it is cooked. A little extra time won't hurt. a little too little will.

4. The Eat

Yes, let it cool. The 2nd pie you can share with a neighbour, the local firehouse or ambulance station, maybe a soup kitchen or seniors center. Impress your Mom/Spouse/Beneficial Friend.

It is sooooo much better made from scratch than it is bought from the in-store bakery at the local giant grocery store. And completely guilt-free because you made it yourself. ZERO calories. I measured. You can trust me. 😍

leftover pie crust - save for making turkey pot pie after you have leftover turkey to make turkey pot pie with. It is soooo much better when made with Tenderflaky pie crust.

🐩

5 REPLIES 5

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Love this! Thanks so much for sharing @thePoodleFarmer , homemade is definitely better Wink 

FidoStephane

This is gold

Golden brown! 

pie1.JPGExactly in accordance with the instructions with one ingredient addition... i like cloves, so add 1/2 tsp cloves for a 2 pie batch. Cook time per instructions, I finish with an extra few minutes at 375 if the middle of the pie is still dished down and wet looking. But that is my gas oven, yours might be different. I haven't cooked with electricity in decades.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! 

🐩

It looks delicious!  Happy Thanksgiving!  

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Definitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing - if only all recipes were written this way 😂