cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fido roam

fathiaulya
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

hey! so i've been staying outside canada (in southeast asia) for the past 2 months, and the airplane mode on my phone has been turned off while i'm outside canada. However, recently i accidentally turned on my airplane mode and my phone's cellular was automatically turned on, after that i received an email from fido, it is stated that "as per the wireless code, this email is to confirm that one or more users from your account recently registered on a roaming network". After i accidentally turned on my phone's airplane mode, i right away turned it off. By receveing an email stated like above, Does this mean i automatically turn on data roaming? do i get charged for this automatically even though i'm not using the data? If yes then how do i stop the roaming service? please advise, thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

get an asian sim card, keep fido sim in safe place, place your new asian sim phone number on facebook and twitter.

Fredyo
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Fido roam is a giant scam designed to trick you in daily payments. Disable it at all costs and find a local soloution which will be ALMOST ALWAYS a better deal! 

Hey @Fredyo

Welcome to the Community!

We're sad to see you feel this way. Fido Roam is a great option for people who travel often and need to keep their Canadian number active while abroad in order to remain in contact with family and friends. That said, sometimes a local option can be beneficial too.

It's really what works best for you.

Fredyo
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

It's ok if you're desperate and need something quick but there are far better options for sure that won't break the bank!

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @fathiaulya,

The message you received is sent to customers when they reach a covered destination stating the rates of the service. 

Fido will only bill you if there's any usage detected through the Fido SIM card in your device.

You can opt out of the Fido Roam if you do not want to have it, but if you do use the phone you will be billed at regular pay-per-use-only you can see the rates here, you will need to contact customer service to have them remove the Fido Roam feature. You can reach out to them from any of the available methods listed here.