cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM issues when scanning QR code on Fido.ca

Confusedhere
I'm a contributor level 3
I'm a contributor level 3

Upon reviewing my profile and exploring the available options, I find myself in a state of confusion. Specifically, I am addressing the utilization of an eSIM on an iPhone that is compatible with eSIM technology.

Fido, similar to Rogers, presents a subpar layout on its website and lacks sufficient information to provide clear, step-by-step instructions on converting a physical SIM to an eSIM.

Recently, I assisted a family member in the process of converting their SIM to an eSIM, and we encountered several issues. Primarily, Fido's website messaging proved to be inadequate. Upon obtaining a QR code for the eSIM, the instructions direct users to scan the eSIM.

Following this step, the only guidance provided is to check a box with an "i" (for information), indicating that the QR code has been successfully scanned. However, this approach differs from other carriers. In their cases, once the QR code is scanned, the eSIM undergoes rapid authentication, and a message on the screen confirms that the physical SIM is no longer in use.

Contrary to this, Fido's website fails to mention that, after scanning the QR code, the iPhone will become stuck in an "Activating..." loop. This crucial information is absent from Fido's instructions.

Consequently, users should exercise caution when checking the box and confirming the successful scan, as it may inadvertently deactivate the physical SIM, leaving the user without service.

Seeking clarification, I visited a local Fido store, where I was informed that the eSIM QR process is new and plagued with issues. The store recommended visiting in person to ensure a seamless transition, with the added benefit of their ability to contact tech support for issue resolution or provide a new physical SIM if the eSIM installation proves problematic. However, they mentioned a $10 charge.

Moving forward, I propose the creation of a comprehensive and detailed thread on Fido/Rogers forums specifically addressing the migration to eSIM, especially the conversion from physical to eSIM.

In the interim, I hope this thread can become and serve as a valuable resource, offering insights into potential challenges during the process and providing users with an understanding of what to expect.

1 REPLY 1

FidoKenny

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on the Community.

Your experience with us is our priority, we will make sure to share what you explained here to the team in charge. We want the process of adding a e-sim to be simple for our customers, and we are always looking to improve.