Wifi Calling worked & stopped working

I'm a Participant Level 2 andre88224
I'm a Participant Level 2

Wifi Calling worked & stopped working

Hi,

I am using an ulocked iphone. I just swithched to Fido yesterday from Rogers, and I gave my IMEI to the rep. I successflly activated Wifi Calling, and it worked for a couple of hours. Then it was turned off some how, and when I tried to turn it back on, it says to allow this account use wifi calling, please contact Fido.

I chated with support, she helped me reset my network setting on her end, and I did on my iphone too. Right now, it pops up a websit, similar layout as the one that let you fill out the first time when you try to active it. But it says unable to process your request.

Anyone can help please?

Accepted Solution

Re: Wifi Calling worked & stopped working

Hi there @andre88224

Thanks for reaching out!

We actually have an interesting article about "Enabling Wi-Fi Calling" on or Fido Community, I would invite you to check out the details HERE 

As noted on this article, your compatible device must have been purchased from Fido. If you have a non-Fido device and no conflicting services, Wi-Fi Calling may work, but we can’t assure that the feature will work properly!

If you're using an Unlocked non-Fido device, that may be the reason for the difficutlies you're experiencing. 

I hope this helped in some way 😃 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 56
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Berlo
I'm a Contributor Level 1

@FidoPierre  No, I think we can assure that Fido is making things more complicated for customers with unlocked phones and saying "we cannot guarantee full support for this service on an unlocked phone" is not honest. You deliberatly block them with the IMEI.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 31 of 56
I'm a Participant Level 1 R_onan
I'm a Participant Level 1

same issue here. I brought my device to Fido and now they are restricting access to wifi calling. It would be better support if they allowed it (by NOT blocking the IMEI) and ask users to sign off that you may have mixed results. If there is another legitimate reason I would like to hear it, but i doubt the quality is the issue...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 32 of 56

Hey @R_onan!

What type of device is it?

If it's an iPhone, the service will work even if it was not purchased from us (as long as it has iOS 9.0 or above). If it's an Android, it must be purchased from Fido and at this time the service is offered on these Android phones:

• Google Pixel2
  • Google Pixel2 XL
  • LG G4 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)
  • LG G5 (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • LG G6 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)
  • LG Q6
  • LG V30
  • LG Xpower 2
  • Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017)
  • Samsung Galaxy A8
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 8
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 and Samsung Galaxy S6 edge (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8+
  • Samsung Galaxy S9 and Samsung Galaxy S9+

I hope this helps! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 33 of 56
I'm a Participant Level 2 modelcitizen

Totally having the same experience. awful. I had just spent 2 hours on phone calls with Fido to sort this out. But the answer is very disappointing. I have been with Fido since the beginning and my S7 Edge had work just fine on wifi calling and even after siwtched to S9 plus it worked fine for couple of months until recently all of a sudden the wifi calling stopped working. We all know that the service providers are now obligate to unlock their phones if customer requires. And Rogers/Fido are currently the only two provider using such an unconvincing excuse to block their clients from good services. I hope they hear and make changes rather than keep making things more complicated. Maybe it is time to port out.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 34 of 56

Hey there @modelcitizen

Welcome to the community Smiley

Thanks for your feedback, we'll also be sure to have it forwarded.

In the meantime, if you'd like to follow up on your recent interactions we'd be happy to send you a PM and look into it.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 35 of 56
I'm a Participant Level 1 Segzy
I'm a Participant Level 1

It was a mistake switching to Fido, but good thing I haven't paid them any money yet. I'll just go back to my old network. There's no network in any developed country that will lock network features because you're using an unlocked phone. It's ridiculous . 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 36 of 56
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

same thing happened to me,

get new sim card again (in your case), get fido people to check your apn settings etc..

then have them to confirm and turn-on your wifi calling and VoLTE as well. (you have to be post-paid customer).

good luck

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 37 of 56

Hey @Segzy

I'm sad to see you feel this way. Our features and services are optimized to work with Fido certified phones but we cannot guarantee it to work at 100% on non-Fido devices. 

We would hate to see you go. I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look into this together. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 38 of 56
I'm a Participant Level 2 SAA2

I have teh same issue I tried to buy the phone from Fido but there Price was higher than Samsung when I bought it I called them and they said the phone will be the same

Two days I called they said to me it will be the same which mean I have to pay more than full price to get Fido software installed in the phone

Can anybody please advise if this part can be filled to CRTC as it seems that is not fair they force us to buy from Fido in higher price with fido software and it is consider unlocked phone if we buy from anotehr supplier than Fido not offer the service we pay for it everymonth

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 39 of 56
Former Moderator FidoPamela
Former Moderator

Hey @SAA2

We're sorry to learn you're having trouble using the service. 

We always try to make sure all of our customers can make the best of our services but there are some services we can only guarantee on Fido phones. 

WiFi calling is not a service we guarantee and as such it is not listed as a feature in all plans. This is in accordance with the CRTC's regulation. 

That being said, we'd love to take a look at your account to troubleshoot with you and see if we can help. 

I'll be sending you a PM in just a moment. Chat soon Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 40 of 56