cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading FAQ

GMwaniki
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

So I currently have an LG that I had a contract for 2 years that's ending in a few months. Just wanted to ask what upgrading your device means? Like I get a brand new phone but I still have to pay if off monthly just like my current phone? I get a new phone that I have to pay off for another 2 years? Just wanted to get some advice

2 REPLIES 2

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

you have many options:

1: keep existing plan and phone

2:get new phone with fido, resign two year deal

3: get your own new phone (via retailer or kijiji) unlocked, pick your own plan , no terms.

sometimes it is cheaper to sign and 2 year deal if is an flagship phone,

if is an mid range / budget, it is better to get it outright.

my case is s9+ = 1100$ {outright via retailer} / 24 months = $45.83 / month + $25 talk/text no data plan = $70.83 / month.

on contract fido s9+ = $229 to $889 / 24 months {deposit} = $ 9.54 to $37.17 / month

$60 {extra large plan min} to $105 {small plan min}

$37.17/month {deposit/24 months} + $60 small smartphone plan = $97.17/month

$9.54/month {deposit/24 months} + $105 extra large smartphone plan = $114.54/month

FidoPamela
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @GMwaniki

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

Upgrading simply means getting a new phone. You can do that with agreement or without agreement and pay the phone outright. 

With an agreement you get a rebate on the price of the phone but you pay a bit more on the monthly plan. Basically paying a bit more is what allows you to get phones starting at $0.

We have different pricing available depending on whether you get a Small, Medium, Large or Extra Large plan. 

Don't hesitate to reach out if you'd like to check out your options!