cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Fee

hollypop
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

How much is an upgrade fee? or does it depend on the price of the phone you upgrading to? <---- if so , lets say the phone is $0 do you still have to pay something? so confused...

3 REPLIES 3

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi everyone!

Although this thread is pretty old, I still wanted to take the time to give information on the applicable charges for an upgrade. Smiley

If you don't have an agreement at the time of your upgrade, you'll be billed the price of the phone (if applicable) as well as a $30 transaction fee. The transaction fee can be avoided by upgrading on Fido.ca. Here's how.

If you do have an agreement, you'll need to pay the remaining balance on your phone in addition to the fees mentioned above. This balance is calculated by taking the subsidy you received on the phone, dividing it by 24, and multiplying it by the number of months left on your agreement. You can check the amount by logging into Fido.ca, selecting Mobile from the Services tab. From there, select your number (if you have more than one number in the account), and scroll down to the My Device section. The balance will be shown under Upgrade Today Fee.

Hope this helps. Smiley Cheers!

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@hollypop wrote:

How much is an upgrade fee? or does it depend on the price of the phone you upgrading to? <---- if so , lets say the phone is $0 do you still have to pay something? so confused...

There are usually 3 fees:

1) Price of the phone. Varies by phone and whether you take a contract or not.

2) $25 hardware admin fee. You will ALWAYS pay this if you buy the phone from Fido, regardless of the price of the phone.

3) Early upgrade fee. Depending on how far into you existing contract you are, you may need to pay a fee to become eligible to upgrade. This is basically to terminate your existing contract. This will vary from a few dollars to a few hundred.

These fees are pretty vague in how Fido advertises it.  As far as I am concerned, the fee should be built into the advertised price.  If Canada actually had a consumer protection agency that cared about consumers, it would be law to have all fees included into the advertised price, and a consumer should only expect to pay HST or PST/GST depending on where they live.  If I go on Fidos website to buy a phone, the upgrade fee is never mentioned until I get to the checkout.  I think it must be counter productive to have such an upgrade fee, as for myself I will purchase my phone through anywhere else then to pay a fee for buying a phone through Fido. 

Imigine a gas station advertising 50 cent p/l gas, but applying a gas dispencing fee of 75 cents p/l when you start to pump gas.  Does anyone think that would be fair, or allowed to happen?  I see the hardware upgrade fee as exactly that.