Unauthorized number porting

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Unauthorized number porting

I recently heard about a new problem of people having their phone numbers ported fraudulently to unauthorized criminals. What is the best way to protect my Fido phone number from this type of illegal activity. I use the normal 2 factor verification all of my sensitive email and banking. However most these 2 step verification request go by text to my phone. This practice becomes useless if the unauthorized user has taken control of my phone number. 

Does Fido have a procedure in place that protects me from having my number ported to a new carrier without my being aware of the transfer.

Accepted Solution

Re: Unauthorized number porting

Hey @nickgx,

We take our role of protecting our customers’ personal information very seriously. As fraudsters use evolving techniques to try to take advantage of wireless consumers, we continually strengthen processes to prevent unauthorized porting.

Whenever a port out is requested, you'll be advised by SMS right away for security purposes. If the port out wasn't authorized, you'll be directed by the SMS to call the Validation Team.

Hope this helps! 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 32
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

Can you send me info on how to better protect myself. I don't want to be scammed or have my bank scammed. How do I request port protection? Can I just add a note to my file?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 31 of 32
Highlighted

Hey @Wishmaster666

We replied to your other post.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 32 of 32