cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of Responsibility process

strongguy
I'm a participant level 2

Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do to transfer one of my lines over to a friend of mine to take over?

7 REPLIES 7

0zero0zero
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, I am thinking about taking over someone's contract. When I call fido will they disclose the type of phone the contract is on? Would they tell me if I ask?

rockster8

In addition to the questions above, I'd also like to ask if my friend will be able to assume my number, or will he get his own? Can I still keep my number?

Hi all! 

I know this thread is quite old, I still want to take a moment to answer the last question in case someone comes across it: the person taking over the line can definitely keep the existing number OR they can change it free of charge on Fido.ca.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi strongguy

Simply call into the call centre, tell them the name of your friend who wants to take over. That's it, simple as that. Your portion of the TOR is now complete.

The rest of the process is your friends responsibility, he must call in and now that he is a user on your account he can continue the transfer. If all goes well, ie he passes the credit check, etc, no unpaid balance is left on the lines, then the account is now under his name as soon as he hangs up the call with the CSR.

Be sure to click likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).

strongguy

if my friend is in a different province could I still do the transfer this way?

Thanks for your help.

Hello strongguy,

the short answer is: Yes. a Transfer of Responsibility is easy, fast, and a great way to avoid a Early Cancellation Fee should you ever need to exit a contract for any reason since the person you find to assume the terms of service for an agreement or just month-to month pays for the next month's service as you would have.

Their place of residence wouldn't disqualify them. If they are in a different Local Calling Area, they can request a free phone number change at fido.ca or at a local Fido store.

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates.

Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@strongguy

Yes, calling into customer service via the 1-888-481-3436 is a free call for your friend, if he is taking over your line, he must also assume the calling area and telephone number you had before. However, if he wants to change it to a number with a different area code/calling area, he can do so at his own time later on, providing he understands any associated costs (if any)

Be sure to click likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).