cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary suspension while under contract

nathanpainchaud
I'm a participant level 2

This summer, I'll be travelling abroad for approximately 4 months. However, my phone (a Pixel 2) is still under a 2-year contract that ends in december. I've looked around to see what options are offered for suspending an account temporarily (seeing as I'd like to keep my number), but it seems to only apply for customers with month-to-month contracts.

So, my question is, is cancelling my contract () and afterwards temporarily suspending my plan the only option? Or could there be some kind of deal when still under contract?

It's also worth noting that while I purchased my phone after December 1, 2017 (and thus after the SIM locking ban), I found out my phone was still SIM locked... As I'd like to bring my phone with me on my travels, I would also like to know the easiest way to go about resolving this issue.

Kind regards,

Nathan.

3 REPLIES 3

FidoThomas
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @nathanpainchaud!

Welcome to the Community Smiley

To answer your first question, no it is not possible to suspend the service when you're under an agreement! That being said, it is possible to buyout your contract to be able to suspend the line.

For the unlocking of your device, we can help you with this! I'll send you a PM and we'll check this out.

Talk to you soon!

nathanpainchaud

Thank you for the answer.

I've also searched about what kind of fees apply to buyout a contract, but I've come up empty-handed. I know that I would have to pay the remaining balance on my phone, but if you could tell me whether other fees apply (or link me to a page that explains it), I would be grateful.

Kind regards,

Nathan

Hey @nathanpainchaud

The only fee that would apply would be the amount left on your phone.  You can view the amount left on your online account on fido.ca.

Hope it helps! Smiley