cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TOR fee warning

Yashmash2050
I'm a participant level 3

I recently had to move my phone number which was tied to a company account under my personal name. Unfortunately I had to pay an unjust and ridiculous TOR fee of $35. After being on hold for almost an hour for a supervisor to understand what this fee is for, the reason was never explained. Also the supervisor wasn’t sure if the fee applies as corporate to personal is excluded and exempt from the fee. However she advised that she couldn’t get a hold of the business department and that I had yo wait a day or two if I wanted her to clarify. I am basically bringing my business to Fido as a new customer and expected the fee to be waived since some of the other service providers waive such fees when you join as a new customer. The only reason I had to go through with this process was to keep my number and nothing else. Fido reception always sucks where I am (North york, ON) while My wife’s service provider for instance has amazing reception. Also, they keep increasing their plans cost for no reason. I had the $60 10gb plan and now end up paying $75 for it, and the increase was only after 6 months. I was never more disappointed in a phone carrier and that TOR fee just made the matter worse. The supervisor herself agreed that when the TOR fee was first introduced they had trouble understanding it as many people just leave and find better deal elsewhere.

3 REPLIES 3

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Yashmash2050,

The TOR is a Transfer of Responsibility fee, the fee was charged because a transfer of responsibility from the company to yourself did happen. You can view a list of all administrative charges here.

Service providers can not increase your fee for no reason or without notice, Fido would have communicated with you via invoice regarding any rate increase. While no one likes rate increases it does happen and we do have a choice to stay or find alternatives. 

All the carriers increased the $60 10gb plan not just Fido.

Yashmash2050

Hello,

I know what TOR stands for. The Fido supervisor told me that the TOR fee does not apply when you move corporate line to personal, however moving it from business to personal carries the fee. How does that make sense? Also, moving personal to business or corporate is exempt from the fee. Don’t see the logic here! Of course they give you a notice, I am not denying that, but the fee went up in a matter of 6 months from the time I got the plan. Yup, will consider that option too since Fido clearly doesn’t want my business.

That’s not true. There was a time in December of 2019 when multiple carriers offered the same plan at even a cheaper rate. Check your facts please.

Hello @Yashmash2050,

@Yashmash2050 wrote:

I recently had to move my phone number which was tied to a company account under my personal name. Unfortunately I had to pay an unjust and ridiculous TOR fee of $35. After being on hold for almost an hour for a supervisor to understand what this fee is for, the reason was never explained

My apologies, I read that statement as you did not know what the TOR fee was hence why I explained it. 

The Fido supervisor told me that the TOR fee does not apply when you move corporate line to personal, however moving it from business to personal carries the fee. How does that make sense? Also, moving personal to business or corporate is exempt from the fee. Don’t see the logic here!

I do not know what was said when you spoke to the supervisor but if that is what she said to you then I would agree it makes no sense and clearly the supervisor did not know what she was talking about.

I do share your sentiment in regards to the Transfer of Responsibility fee, you have to understand while you might be new the line you are taking over is not new its an already existing line, not a new line.

If all you are looking for is getting the $35 fee waived I'm sure it can be done, your approach could have been better.