cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping SIM into unlocked phone

allan1
I'm a participant level 2

Can I buy a new phone unlocked (directly from samsung or apple) and then just use the sim of my current phone? My plan wouldn't be changing just the phone itself. I would still be paying off my current phone but i just wouldnt be using it. Is that ok?

3 REPLIES 3

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @allan1,

Sure you can use your own phone and nothing on your plan will change. 

Just remember when using a non Fido device meaning the phone was not purchase directly from Fido some features might not work even if the phone supports it, for example VoLTE and WiFi calling.

allan1

Does fido support the note 8? and why might the features not work? is it phone specfic? 

@allan1 wrote:

Does fido support the note 8? and why might the features not work? is it phone specfic? 

Hello Allan1,

Fido has decided not to carry the Note 8. Certain features, such as voLTE and Wifi-calling, currently require the IMEIs of those devices to be in Fido's inventory database (see here). Unfortunately, if you're bringing in an unlocked device, it won't be in Fido's inventory database.

Hopefully, changes will be made so that the system will allow provisioning of IMEIs from both their inventory database and their customer database to enable unlocked android phones to also make use of those services.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers