cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software update question

Ymets2k02
I'm a contributor level 1

I am thinking about the samsung s8 and wanted to know how often are the major updates, is it once a year like apple and if so is there atleast security updates monthly or every other month .....

5 REPLIES 5

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Ymets2k02 Samsung has a bad track record for releasing updates and if you get a carrier phone its even worst because you will have to wait for Samsung to release the update then the carrier will have to test it before actually pushing it to your phone. 

If you want to get prompt and timely updates then the Google phone is what you will need to get.

Ymets2k02

Any other suggestions for other brands that are reliable in updates,  because the google phone is the same price as an iphone and then in that case rather just get the iphone ....   LG i am on the fence about , and Nexus dont care for the specs

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2
If you want reliable updates, don't get a phone from a carrier; get one unlocked straight from the manufacturer. Forget about Samsung. Forget about the cheap ones too - they are unlikely to update their phones. Motorola used to be among the best (behind Google) - I don't know where they stand now.

Although I have not tried them, I would expect BlackBerry to be reliable in terms of updates. As long as the company exists, that is...

Ymets2k02

atleast for the google pixel xl for the storage i need as 32gb wont cut it

Samsung builds good phones but the bloatware, lack of updates and the fact they make so many version of the same phone kills it for me, I had a S6 and it was so much problems that I got the Nexus 6p and never looked back. 

I would always recommend the Google phones but that's just my preference yours might be different. I don't like apple products because Apple lacks customisation. I can do so much more with Android I can change the look and feel and Android development community is really big with lots of custom roms you can load on your phones if you are into that.

As for storage you get 15gb free online with Google and you also get free unlimited high quality photo backup from Google and I can store 50 000 of my own songs on Google music for free.

Basically when it comes to Android phone's from a carrier you are at the mercy of the carrier to release the updates provided the manufacture makes the update available also. Except for the Google phone's the updates is directly from Google and they all come factory unlocked also.