cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS to SMS, sends as phone call

Eendar
I'm a participant level 3

Ok, This problem started last night with just one contact of mine. Everytime I send my friend a SMS text it, instead of using that system, calls and reads them the message. I have so far deleted them, Readded them, left the 1 out of the front, tried different messaging systems from google play and wiped the entire phone so you have that to work with. Please advise.

9 REPLIES 9

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Eendar The problem could be on your friend side if the problem was on your side it would do it for all the SMS you send to other people as well. Is the number for your friend a cell number or is that person using a VOIP line or something other than a regular cell?

Eendar

No its a cell, the problem started last night after years of regular texting.

They go through Bell and have been talking with them, Bell looked into their account and found nothing odd and I am the one sending so its probably on this end.

Bell thinks their phone might be flagged in the database as a landline, I gave a fido rep the number to double check.

OK well I guess Fido can double check the number to make sure, also something to note you will be charged for sending text to land line so keep an eye out for that in case you get charged.

Edit: the charge is 25 cents.

@Eendar and welcome to the Community Smiley

I have to say that it's a weird situation.

I would say that if this happens with only one contact, the chances are that the problem is not from our side.

Have you had any problem sending or receiving text messages with another contact?

Also, do you know another user with this provider that you could try sending text messages to? From there, we could see if the same thing happens.

Let me know.

Eendar

The other phone is bell, I gave the fido rep the number to look and see if it was flagged or tagged as a landline by accident. They sent the following "But he's given two suggestions to try! The owner of the Bell phone could try taking the SIM out and testing it on another Bell phone to see if it's the same issue.
Or, the settings of the Bell phone could be causing this.
Usually in settings, there's the ''accessibility'' settings which are used for those who need text messages to be translated to voice. Could they check to see if that's turned on?"

Bell had suggested the same, they are going to try another phone tonight so I guess we can wait.

@Eendar.

Ok then, let's see what happens when it's tested out on their end.

Keep us updated Smiley

Eendar

@FidoKenny

They tried and its the same result in the end. Really odd?

Eendar

@FidoKenny

They went to bell, had their number changed and voila it worked.

I asked about Landline associations in a database because I used to work with networks a lot and you can set up router and switches in OSPF (Open Shortest Path First) and figured telecommunications companies would use something similar in order to save time.

P.S. They are also happy cause their Ex doesnt know the number now, second benefit.

Hey @Eendar!

I was just about to message you and I read your last post! That was odd indeed! I'm happy to hear that it works now! You're right about the second benefit as well Smiley Thank you so much for keeping us posted!