cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving texts while in the US. Is it free?

Tony28
I'm a participant level 1

Hi everyone, I'm sure someone has asked this question before but I didn't see one on the first page.

If I have a prepaid plan with unliminted texting (the $25 one).   Will I be charged for texts I receive while I'm in the US.  I'm aware that texts I send will cost me 75 cents per text.  I'd assume receiving texts would be free since it's something I can't control and I'm on a text plan but I just want to make sure.  Thank you.

Tony

9 REPLIES 9

samsonsg303
I'm a participant level 3

Yes, you will be charged.  My son and daughter made the mistake of turning on their cellphones while there and received hundreds of texts from friend until their phones filled up.  Cell bills about $800.00 each.  Dont forget when in the USA, if you make a call it is roaming and texts coming in are received via the roaming network you are on.  Usually AT&T.

Turn it off and put it away.

samsonsg303

Wow, I wish I had my bills from 2006 then I could ask again with Rogers, why they charged all that money for incoming text messages.  Perhaps right now the situation is different, but back then with Rogers, they hit hard.

Hello everyone,

I wish to make a correction:

All incoming text messages are free whether you are on a prepaid or monthly plan no matter where you are located in the world.

You can find everything you need to know about roaming here.

I hope this helps!

Fido1786
I am travelling to US but I am not on prepaid plan. I am on a 35$ unlimited international in/outgoing text plan. Would fido still charge me if I get any messages while I am in US ?

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi there,

This has not changed. Incoming text messages from other mobile phone numbers are free and unlimited, even while roaming. Note that outgoing text messages would be $0.75 per message sent unless you purchase a roaming text messaging pass or a US travel pack. You can check them out here

samsonsg303

As mentioned above, my experience with Rogers back in 2006 was totally different.  Each of my children received massive amounts of text messages while in Honolulu via their Rogers phones.  When back in Canada and the bills came in for July and then August, the received text charges were out of sight.  When I phone and asked about the charges, I was told that on the plans, incoming and outgoing texts where charge $.20 each while in a USA roaming situation.  Since then both children put their cells away and use the T-mobile ones we purchased.

Difference probably is that it occured five years ago and with Rogers.  Sorry for my comment.

gklgkl
it was different back then 5 years ago.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Different company man, fido and rogers have different rates/policies

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys, I was in the USA recently, and I received a few dozen texts or so, So far my bill showed NO EXTRA CHARGES. I know some people forget to turn off their data when they cross the border and get stuck with high roaming charges. So this could be why you were charged so much?