Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor roaming service in USA During July 2020

Mariusc1
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I  had   nightmare  experience  with Fido   Roaming 
1 I was not able   to  talk  to ANY  human   being  to  resolve my  concerns via  Fido support

2 The  service   for  roaming was NOT   functioning and   I  want  to avoid   this  happening neither  did   I have  any  data  functioning  from Fido  for  my stay  of  14 days

3 Eventually  I was told   that FIDO   is  not responsible  for poor  service  or lack of srevice  in the  area   in USA  where   I was  travelling 

THe Fido  rep  told   me  that  they have no  control  over  subcontractors  in USA  who provide  coverage   for   roaming

IF   I  cant get  100  %  certainty  from  FIdo  managment  that  this  disaster willnot happen  again in December  2020  when Iam  In Arizona  it will be  good bye   to  Fido

I am posting this  due  to  lack of  access   to support  from  fido online  per telephone 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mariusc1,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you weren't able to use your services while in the US.

@Mariusc1 wrote:...IF   I  cant get  100  %  certainty  from  FIdo  managment  that  this  disaster willnot happen  again in December  2020  when Iam  In Arizona  it will be  good bye   to  Fido...

Unfortunately, no mobile provider will be able to provide absolute assurance you'll be able to use your services abroad. Anyone who does is lying to you. The mobile providers can't even guarantee that you'll be able to adequately use your services everywhere in Canada, within their own networks. The nature of cellular service is that it relies on proximity to, and adequate signal from cellular towers. Since cellular service is transmitted via airwaves, many factors can affect cellular signal (see here). No provider can know where a customer intends on using their services and whether there are any potential sources of interference. Even satellite phones have their own set of limitations.

When outside of Canada, roaming devices use the local infrastructure. In addition to verifying adequate coverage of the local providers, customers would need to ensure their devices are compatible with the local networks' bands/frequencies (see here).

The only thing your home mobile provider can offer is to ensure that there are no roaming blocks on your account.

I understand my reply might seem unsatisfactory to you, however, hope this helps 😀

Cheers