cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please don't get Brighstar's Mobile Protection Plan.

el219
I'm a participant level 2

I filed my first claim with Brighstar for a broken front screen, only for it to get immediately denied for no reason. I was told I would receive an email telling me why but I never did. I called customer service and the agent said that the reason for denial of the claim was that I hadn't made payments and so I wasn't covered. This is completely false as I see payments in my payment history and on my credit card statement. The agent said she was seeing the same thing, and that she couldn't see any reason for my claim being denied. She said she would escalate it to management and I would hear back in a few business days. So now I am sitting here with a broken screen that is difficult to type on, and insurance that I paid for but can't use.

I am convinced that this company just denies every single claim without telling you the reason, even if there is no reason at all, and then banks on people being too lazy to escalate it further. At that point they already have your money and there is no way you can get it back, so all you can do is cancel your membership. Also, while the agent I spoke to was lovely, half of the time I get someone that is either difficult to understand due to poor English (not a bad thing, just is difficult to understand) or has extremely poor mic quality and is hard to hear. 

I have seen many posts telling people to avoid this company after having my own frustrating incident, and hope this one acts as another warning to others.

5 REPLIES 5

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @el219,

When filing a claim with Brightstar, they would then send you a communication with more details about required documents or if the claim was denied.

To clarify though, when you say you've contacted customer service, did you contact Brightstar customer service or Fido? The details of your claim would be provided by Brightstar, and you should be able to follow up on your claim's status by reaching out to them directly for clarifications.

el219

@FidoSaad  They should have sent me communication, but they never did. I had to chase them down and phone every day and they still are giving me the run around.

I contacted Brighstar customer service. The claim is still not approved as of right now. They are telling me that if it does get approved, I most likely won't even have the option to only repair the front glass, only to receive a refurbished replacement device. Repairs are in their terms and conditions. I'm guessing they make money off of you sending your new device back, repairing the screen themselves, and then sending you a refurbished device of a lower value.

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @el219

Did they explain why they think you won't be able to get the front glass repaired?

el219

@FidoJulien No, they didn't give a reason. I explained only the glass was cracked and everything else was functioning perfectly. They said that typically with people who purchase the MPP through Glentel (WirelessWave) are never given the option to repair, only to replace, even though it's on the brochure and in the Terms & Conditions.

Keep in mind that this was a supervisor/manager I was speaking to.

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for the information @el219

Did you purchase the device protection from us and are charged every month on your Fido bill or did you buy it from Wireless Wave?