Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenVPN and Fido LTE

mikeyjpas
I'm a contributor level 2

Hello,

Using iphone XS Max ios 15.3.1 and  OpenVPN for ios version 3.2.3

The goal is connect to work network via OpenVPN and use microsoft remote desktop for ios  to access work PC

The openVPN configuration file was provided to me

Works when i'm on WIFI, but doesn't work when using Fido LTE data

OpenVPN connects without error message, but remote desktop cannot establish connection. 

If I switch to wifi, no issues at all.

Been reading many threads about Fido blocking the VPN. 

I've tried playing around with the OpenVPN settings, such as using TCP vs Adaptive vpn protocol, ipv6 preferences to no preferences, combined ipv4/ipv6 tunnel/ipv4 only tunnel, dns fallback on/off.

basically, i've tried all the settings and nothing works when on LTE

Can anyone help? There was another thread of many users complaining of same thing, but never a public solution, only "I'll send you a PM" but never can see a resolution.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

mikeyjpas

Small update:

I tried tethering my imac to my iphone, therefore using fido LTE data

openvpn + RDP = works!

So why would there be a difference if my imac is using fido lte data vs my iphone ?

Iphone on WIFI : openVPN + RDP = success

iphone on FIDO LTE : openVPN + RDP = no success

imac on WIFI : openVPN + RDP = success

imac on FIDO LTE (via tethering) : openVPN + RDP = success

I'm stumped. 

Svrsc
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

You can create a profile with apple configurator to disable ipv6 and it works. Not the best work around but I personally don't really use ipv6

Hello again,

Sorry to hear you're still having issues. From what you note, it still sounds like the app on the iPhone might not have access to cellular data. I understand there may not be any configuration options within the app itself. However, have you verified that the app has access to cellular data via iOS settings (see here)?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mikeyjpas,

I understand you are not able to use the remote desktop with LTE, however, are you able to use any data at all? Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the OpenVPN app for iOS. However, I can confirm that the OpenVPN protocol can be used with Fido LTE:

Screenshot_20220218-094407.jpg

I use a different VPN service, but I haven't had issues with any of my regular data usage with the OpenVPN (TCP) protocol. Though, I did post previously about issues trying to access the internet with OpenVPN using UDP. So I don't think Fido is blocking access to VPNs. Admittedly though, I haven't tried to access any remote desktops.

After a brief search, have you verified the app has cellular data enabled (see here)? Unfortunately, if enabling cellular data does not solve your issue, I'm at the limits of my knowledge on the topic. Perhaps others might offer alternative solutions.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

mikeyjpas

Yes, when I connect OpenVPN while on Fido LTE, I can access the internet 

it's my Microsoft Remote Desktop that cannot connect. 

My OpenVPN lists the port as 61218

not sure if that particular port is blocked by Fido lte?

there are no further settings that I can see on OpenVPN or the Remote Desktop app. 
perhaps there are default Remote Desktop ports Microsoft uses that are blocked by Fido? 

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. Since you are able to use other data, it does seem like the issue is with Microsoft Remote Desktop. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the different port requirements. You might consider contacting customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. You might also consider calling technical support as they might better know issues regarding ports.

**edit** I am also not very familiar with Microsoft Remote Desktop. Is that an app? Does that app have access to cellular data?**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

mikeyjpas

Microsoft Remote desktop is an app. It allows you to connect to microsoft windows PCs remotely.

I do not know specifically the inner workings of it,  such as what ports it uses, but there is no configuration options that I can see, other than hostname, username, password etc..