cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service for a few minutes, then one or two bars.

Andreee
I'm a participant level 2

I very often have "no service" for a minute or two on my Iphone 8+, whereas my husband's new Samsung S21 right beside me has full bars with Fido. Is it because my phone is old?  If I buy a new Iphone 12 would I have full bars? Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Good morning Andreee, that would drive me crazy. Mobile phones used to have one main job to do and that was to make calls. Now they can do  everything except make my coffee in the morning.

Seriously though,  each device has its unique manufacturing design,  the GPS, antennas,microphone, NFC,speakers are all carefully crammed into the small spaces allotted to them. I remember when Apple was telling their customers to hold their devices differently because it was interfering with the signal. The antennas were placed along each side, vertically exactly where someone would hold their device. Having said that, I would think that two phones next to each other that are different brands would get the same quality signal at any given time. They don't  because of the antennas used are different,  placed differently, etc. Now, I'm not saying to hold your device in a different hand position, the lack of or increased signal lies in the manufacturing. A newer device may improve your signal as technology has evolved and they may use stronger antennas, but then again it may not. BUT, who doesn't love a new device. 😉 I hope that gave you a bit of an idea on what could be the culprit  

Andreee

Thanks for the info. When it happens, I walk around waving it hoping service will return right away. Meanwhile hubby boasts his new toy has all bars! lol.