cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name Display

Amoux
I'm a participant level 2

To start: I have my name abbreviated in my display settings. I also have done this with my Apple ID. I do not have imessage turned on. I do not have a craigslist account or any other account I know of linked to my number.

Issue: I contacted a stranger on Craigslist via text message about a sale and they responded to me with my actual name. I asked them how they knew it and they said it just showed up at the bottom of the screen. What does that mean? How are they able to see my name? I had copy and pasted that number and there was nothing to link to me. Given how craigslist can be sketchy at times it does concern me. As far as I know that info should be private. In searching for my number I don’t see my name anywhere.

3 REPLIES 3

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Amoux

That's pretty odd;  I know you mentioned using an iPhone now, but is it possible you would have used a Samsung phone before?

Amoux

Hi Julien,

It is strange for sure. It made me wonder if name display wasn’t working somehow and was showing the original name. 

It’s possible that I once owned a Samsung although I can’t remember for sure. I’ve had once gone through a couple old hand-me-down phones after mine broke. How could this impact my personal info though? 

Hey @Amoux, thank you for your response. 

Can you confirm if this is the first time it happens, and would you be able to try with one of your other contacts to see if the same thing happens?

You said your name showed at the bottom of the screen, is it possible that you've set up an SMS signature in the past?