cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone number is not recognized as a valid mobile number in Whatsapp App

lostinsz888
I'm a participant level 3
I am experiencing an issue with verifying my new mobile number on the WhatsApp iPhone app 

Details are as follows:

Issue: Upon entering my new mobile number (just ported to Fido for a month) into the WhatsApp app for verification, I received an error message stating, "The phone number you entered is not a valid mobile number for the United States," despite it being a valid U.S. mobile number with an active SIM card.

Additional Information: My device has a stable internet and cellular connection, and the SIM card is currently active. I have followed all the instructions on WhatsApp for troubleshooting and have yet to succeed.

Has anyone encountered the same problem before? 
8 REPLIES 8

lostinsz888

Yes, it's a Canadian number, but WhatsApp treats it as an invalid number and a US number instead...I tried to contact the WhatsApp support team, but they replied that "this issue is out of the scope of support that WhatsApp can provide."

I tried to contact the Fido support team, but I couldn't find the right person to talk to...they asked me to contact the WhatsApp support team...

Hello Lostinsz888,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly to clarify, did you obtain a new number from Fido or did you port your existing number from another provider? If you received a new number from Fido, it's possible the number uses a relatively new area code overlay (see here). If that is the case, you would need to wait until the databases WhatsApp uses gets updated with the new overlay information. Unfortunately, I think the mobile providers would have limited ability to have those databases updated. If you are not willing to wait, you might consider trying to change your phone number to one of the area codes already available in those databases.

On the other hand, if you ported your old number from another provider, had that number been successfully used with WhatsApp? If so, you might need to contact WhatsApp to see why it was recognised before and no longer being recognised.

Since your post is with regards to WhatsApp, I would be remiss if I did not mention the apparent bug with the app. While it's not mentioned on their website, it appears as though the app will automatically switch to using mobile airtime minutes (within the app) if it deems the internet connection is insufficient for voice calls. Unfortunately, it has happened to many people across Countries and even Continents (see here). One suggestion to prevent the switch would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode and manually enabling Wifi prior to making the call(s). Doing so should prevent the app from switching to mobile minutes if the Wifi internet connection is not sufficient. However, it also means that you wouldn't be able to make WhatsApp calls using a mobile data connection.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

lostinsz888

Thanks for your reply! I ported the number from an online service provider (numberbarn) to Fido, and when I entered the number in WhatsApp, I got an error message stating it was an invalid phone number. My number's area code is 778, and it's an old area code, so it should work.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. Your issue might stem from your number originating from an online service provider. Apparently, WhatsApp does not support voIP or landline numbers (see here). I understand you have ported your number to a mobile service, however, the online databases would still list the area code + prefix as from an online provider (see here). That said, there have been mixed experiences online regarding registering voIP numbers with WhatsApp.

You might consider re-contacting WhatsApp and notifying them you have ported the number to a mobile service. Unfortunately, however, I'm not sure they will be able to address your matter as the online databases won't update with information regarding number porting to a different provider.

Similarly, I don't think the mobile providers will be able to address your issue either. If you are able to use your services, that is about the limit of their scope. They would not have the ability to update those online databases either.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

lostinsz888

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation! Do you know who is managing the online database? If all telecom companies allow users to port VoIP/Landline to Mobile or vice versa, they should have a mechanism to update the database accordingly. Should the Telecommunications Alliance manage it?

Hello again,

Unfortunately, I don't think the databases are actively managed. The databases to which I referred only contain area code and prefix information. That is all the information required to identify line type and provider. The database would be massive if it included the last four digits of phone numbers. 

In addition, I don't think it would be feasible to keep an actively updated database with number port information. People can switch providers rather frequently when trying to find their best deal. An actively managed database would need to be updated with every provider switch.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @lostinsz888,

Welcome to the community!

I'm a bit confused because Fido does not provide US numbers only Canadian numbers, if you are indeed using a Canadian number then you need to select Canada when entering the number into WhatsApp.

lostinsz888

I did select Canada, but WhatsApp popped up an error message saying that my number was not valid and it was a US number......I tried to contact WhatsApp's support team, but it looks like it's a robot to answer my email and I can't get a proper answer from them.