cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance incoming call charge on prepaid account!

LavenderMe
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

How much does along distance tel charge?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello LavenderMe,

Welcome to the community!

Which Prepaid plan do you have? Does it include local airtime minutes or Canada-wide airtime minutes? Generally, incoming calls from anywhere (International or Domestic) are only considered airtime. However, whether you are charged additional long-distance charges for incoming calls depends on a couple of factors.

Firstly, it's helpful to think in terms of local calling area (LCA) vs long-distance (LD) calling. It's also helpful to differentiate between incoming and outgoing calls.

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number. It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call, and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you’re standing.

Receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD. Making calls while roaming can either be local or LD, depending on whether the call destinations are within or outside of your outgoing LCA.

Depending on the details of your plan, local or Canada-wide calling may be included. If your plan includes local anytime minutes, receiving calls outside of your incoming LCA would be considered LD and incur additional charges. I believe the current charges for Canadian LD is 55¢ per minute. On the other hand, if your plan includes Canada-wide minutes, you would not incur additional LD charges for receiving a call anywhere within Canada.

Using your phone outside of Canada would be considered roaming and subject to separate roaming charges (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers