cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone Main Button Not working

Ghostrider
I'm a participant level 2

So the only Button on my Iphone does not work. Contract does not expire till 2011 Nov.

I suppose I am out of warranty, since my phone is older than one year.

But thing is I babied my phone, no damage. How is it fair that phone does even last one contract ?

Not fair. I cannot spend $800 on new phone.

What should I do guys ?

***Edited to add labels***

8 REPLIES 8

FidoJohn
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello Ghostrider,

Welcome to the Fido technical community,

If your Iphone is out of warranty you could try to bring it to the Apple store they can try to Repair the Home button on the device.

They're also third party vendors that are able to repair your phone. You can always refer to google for the nearest location.

I hope this helps,

pablo85
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

although I'm not in favour of Fido being blamed for hardware issues on an Apple product, it seems to me that Fido takes their margin on the phone (more than Apple's margin no doubt after a 3 year contract) and they have some culpability to things which would be considered defects.

Having a touchscreen go bad so early is likely a defect.  Customers who pay a premium for phones shouldn't be responsible for the cost of defects.  The question about whether it is a defect can be answered by service providers who have collective statistics on the various sets, or by Apple who has a larger collection.  Something that fails quite frequently is likely a defect that the manufacturer should be resposible for (for example the antenna design problems they announced last year).

Fido should act on your behalf to give you some feedback about that particular problem, and to let you know if it is a common problem and let you know about any product alerts, previous interactions they've had with the supplier which may be related to the problem.  I say they should, but I don't believe they WILL  do that for you.

Fido does collect that kind of data and according to bronze contributor Paolo, they do provide it to some individuals who are not employees like Paolo (although Paolo answers some posts with "our technical service team...." which leads me to believe he is or was an employee.  Either way, you may wish to fire an email off the the "president's office" to ask if they can provide that type of information about your specific failure type.

There is also Google and the www which you can use to get at least a sense of common problems and if anyone else has had the same problem and gotten the ear of a service provider or Apple.  However, I stand by my belief that Fido should help their customers in every way possible because word travels fast these days and Fido's behaviour could impact a lot of existing and new customers.

pablo85
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

one other option is to buy the new iphone, use it until end of contract then sign up for a better contract somewhere else and sell your "fairly new" iphone on the open market.   It's a bummer when a phone breaks near the end of contract because you need to pay up front for a fix or new one.

Of course that two year old phone that broke with Fido leaving all responsibility to you.....it will still be locked to  Fido after you fix it or pay to replace it with yet another phone locked to Fido, so if/when you sell either of them, you have to sell it only to Fido customers (or to those who will unlock it themselves).  For a small, outrageous fee though, you can have your phone under your control, but only after you've paid for it three times through contract obligation.

From another thread, you may be able to move to Rogers I think 6 months before end of Fido contract with Rogers picking up the penalty so if you're really close to that date, maybe use an old phone for a few months then pick up a iphone with a new rogers contract.....perish the thought of signing up for more Rogers domination....sigh........

docz
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3
Not sure if you are aware, since your throwing out some big numbers. But Apple will replace the whole phone for you for 229.00 and give you a 3 month warranty on the replacement. Way better than 800.

Ghostrider

UPDATE :

I just spoke to Fido CS. The girl just quoted me standard options.

Can't renew my contract, since I am in middle of contract. New Iphone will cost me $649.

Fido won't fix my phone since its over a year.

Great thanks for your help Fido.

Some way to keep existing customers.

With Fido since 2004

Avg Bill $120 

Wait till my contract expires. I am gone. Bye Bye

Sorry to hear about your iPhone.

Sounds like you are over the two year mark on a 3 year contract. Even if you got the Apple extended warranty, which I recommend everyone gets, your two year warranty would have also expired last month. Sucks.

But I cannot believe that Fido did not offer a deal on a renewal. All my friends renew half way through just to buy the newest iPhone. You only get about half of the savings, but that's better than nothing. You should ask for at least a $300 credit on a new 3 year with a new iPhone 4 16G (or $200 on the 32G)

Talk to them again. I am positive they will compromise Smiley

The above applies only if you have less than a year left on a 3 year contract.

Canadian4evr
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

You had the opportunity to purchase an extended warranty.  Fido is not the phone manufacturer, they are just like Walmart, you wouldn't complain to Walmart if your TV was broken a year and a half after you bought it... so why blame Fido, they are just the middleman between you and the manufacturer... Its your own fault knowing you had a 3 year contract and only having a one year warranty.  I believe an apple store can repair your problem by replacing the screen, but it will be at your own expense.