cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does long-distance outgoing&incoming calls apply to anytime minutes and evenings&weekends?

Newbery
I'm a participant level 2

My plan has 150 anytime minutes,unlimited evenings & weekends,unlimited Canada-wide long distance,  but not unlimited incoming calls. Im in Toronto, so I want to know how will it be charged if I make&receive calls to/from other Canadian provinces&cities. Plus, will I be charged if I receive international texts since my plan has unlimited outgoing international texts?

8 REPLIES 8

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@Newbery wrote:

My plan has 150 anytime minutes,unlimited evenings & weekends,unlimited Canada-wide long distance,  but not unlimited incoming calls. Im in Toronto, so I want to know how will it be charged if I make&receive calls to/from other Canadian provinces&cities. Plus, will I be charged if I receive international texts since my plan has unlimited outgoing international texts?

SMS is not affected by where in Canada you are. Texting rules and rates will be the same regardless of where you are in Canada. Any calls you received while outside of your Local Calling Area will incur Long Distance charges. Any calls you make thatare long distance to where you physically are at the time will incur long distance charges.

I'll repost from another thread with more info

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NonTechnical/message-id/3262#M3262

Airtime: minutes of usage accumulated by any voice usage on your phone. Can be segregated by incoming and outgoing minutes in some plans. Buckets of minutes in your plan determine how many minutes of talk time you have before incurring airtime charges.
Long distance: per minute charges for calls determined by your Local Calling Area, of which you have two, incoming and outgoing. 
Outgoing Local Calling Area: This is a geographic area that determines which outbound calls are local and which are long distance. Determined by the geographic proximity between your current physical location (LCA) and the number you are calling. Any outbound calls to numbers outside of your current LCA result in long distance charges. This LCA follows you when you travel in Canada. 
Incoming Local Calling Area: Geographic area that determines when you will be charged long distance for incoming calls. Determined by the geographic proximity of the physical location of where your phone number is registered and your current physical location. This LCA does not move. If your home LCA is in Toronto, then any calls received while you are outside of the Toronto LCA will incur long distance charges.
Roaming: charges incurred when using your phone on a network other than your own carrier. You will never incur roaming charges while connected to the Rogers/Fido network.*
Zones/Out of Zone fees: A way to artificially introduce roaming-like fees on their own network. Only used by Rogers sub-brands (Fido and Chatr) and Bell's SoloMobile brand. No other carrier uses them (Virgin and Koodo dabbled with them briefly). They restrict your usage to geographic areas that are not related to your LCA, though there is some overlap. Any usage outside of these zones will result in Out Of Zone fees for all in and outbound calls, in addition to any applicable airtime or long distance charges. With Fido, all City Fido plans use these zones. With Chatr all plans are zoned. Also with Fido, older CityFido, FullFido, & some retention plans use zones, which use the older definition of zoned, limiting your usage to a single CF zone instead of the newer restriction of limiting usage to any CF zone. With SoloMobile, their Unlimited Prepaid Talk plans are zoned.

*Prior to Rogers’ take-over of Fido, Fido only offered services in major urban centres. Voice plans offered prior to November 4, 2008 are subject to roaming charges (or alternately a monthly subscription) when outside Fido’s traditional urban coverage areas when accessing/roaming on the larger Rogers’ network.

ghgoele
I'm a participant level 1

you didnt answer the question

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@ghgoele wrote:

you didnt answer the question

He actually answered the question with great precision. Is there something you would like to have clarified?

canadiandad

I have the same question that I am not sure was answered by the post that repeats the info on the fido support pages.

Basically, if the plan includes "Canada-wide long distance", does that mean both outgoing LD and incoming LD calls are covered?  By Incoming LD, I mean calls received when outside of my local area.

canadiandad
dont worry about it, i found the answer on the forums

HI,

To clarify further, any Plans that included ""UNLIMITED-CANADA-WIDE long distance"" are not subject to any Long Distance fees when placing calls from Canada to any Canadian numbers & all calls received while within Canada from any numbers in the world is at no extra cost.

Bear in mind that such option/feature needs to be included in your Plan. 

Airtime fees will still be apply if you have exceeded your min or if not within an unlimited airtime Plan. Once over your minute included, Long distance will not be charge but all airtime minute over will be billed accordingly.

Hope this helps.

hplc

I am using a FIDO PULSE BYOP PLAN, which has 300 -canada wide mins. Will I be charge if I make a phone call to the US but no one answers? Also will I be charged if I pick up the phone call form the US?

FidoTerry
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Welcome to the community @hplc! Smiley

I moved your message since we had a similar thread already.

While in Canada, if you're making a call to the US and that person doesn't pick up, then you will not be charged for the call. You will be charged for it if they answer or the voicemail picks up however.

You will not be billed for U.S. long distance if you answer the call. It will use the airtime from your daytime minutes if you answer during the daytime however. Hope this helps.