I have had so many problems with Fido and I'm at my wits end. I have sent proof of payment for both, spoken to my bank numerous times (they even gave me a confirmation # that Fido had received the money), and spoken to probably half of Fido's total employees at this point. I'm going to do whatever I can to switch provider and take legal action.
I have spoken to numerous people on the phone who have told me to re-forward the evidence, or “wait”. This transfer happened a month ago. I filed a complaint with the CCTS.
Please, PM me if you think you have some way to resolve it.