cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido/likewise is a scam.

syMm1234
I'm a participant level 2

I am utterly disgusted with FIDO's scam of a protection service. I just purchased the new iPhone for my birthday, travelled and on vacation the phone was stolen. Fido is choosing dishonestly to not honour my protection plan becuase they claim my phone was not on the network at the time it was stolen. I was travelling!!!!!!!!! My phone was on airplane mode for most of it until I finally got a local sim to make calls and about a day after the phone was stolen. It's as if they are forcing us to roam and play their exorbitant roaming fees when we travel in order to avoid issues. I am truly disappointed becuase I have bought about 4-5 phones from Fido over the years. I have never made a claim before. And the day I need the service because of something out of my control I am being told **bleep**. There is no consideration to the fact that I was travelling in a different country and simply wanted a way to communicate that was more economical than roaming. After paying for this protection service, this is grossly unfair!! For a company that I have been with soo long, spent soo much money with? This is an egregious display of power because they are in control. They don't tell u this information at the store. This was never communicated to me. Over Fido. This is my last month with them. Very dishonest set of people. 

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello syMm1234,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear your phone was stolen.

@syMm1234 wrote:

...Fido is choosing dishonestly to not honour my protection plan ....

Fido does not actually provide the device protection. The device protection is offered by Likewize. Any terms would be decided by them, not Fido.

It is unfortunate you were not aware of Likewize's Terms & Conditions regarding being registered on the network:

Likewize.jpg

~taken from Terms & Conditions PDF; Definitions 6

As far as I am aware, if the SIM card was removed and another SIM card used when the device was stolen, then the device would no longer be actively registered on the Fido network, even though you might still be a Fido customer.

I understand you might not have been told that information at the store. However, those Terms & Conditions should have been provided when you purchased the Device Protection.

You should note that the forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. If you wished to further discuss your situation, you would need to re-contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

syMm1234

All of this is rubbish and a back door waybto shirk your responsibilities. Likewise blamed Fido for the decision now you are blaming them. Because you both know it's a **bleep**ty decision and no one wants to take accountability for it. No lay customer would make such a connection. I am a university trained individual and I did not know that even though I am only on vacation for two weeks, and still currently paying a Fido bill for said phone that it is considered not actively registered because I put another sim in the device for a day. Further, if your silly logic holds, it means that once I travel and my phone is on airplane mood and not roaming I would be considered "not actively" registered on the Fido network. And in essence, if I want to use my phone, I should pay your exorbitant roaming fees. And it's funny how it's the one time I decided not to roam that this happened and Fido has choosen to punish me for this. This is something that should have been clearly stated. I specifically told the sales girl that I was going to travel when I was purchasing the phone. I told her I would swap sims. At no point did she communicate to me that the protection plan you will be paying extra for will be negated if you take the sims out and something happens. You ppl are unscrupulous and disgusting. As I said, I have bought 5 iPhones f from Fido over the years. My mom, my sister my entire family. And we will be changing networks asap. I will not continue to pay my money to such a dishonest set of thieves. 

Hello again,

@syMm1234 wrote:

... You ppl are unscrupulous and disgusting. ...

Why is it people resort to attacking the person when they don't like the information provided? 🙄 I don't work for Fido or any telecommunication provider. I only provided information I found online.

As mentioned, those terms are decided by Likewize. They have the same stipulation in the Terms and Conditions for Freedom Mobile, Vidéotron... It's not limited to Fido.

Shirking responsibilities? I do not know what was discussed in the store. However, it has always been the customers' responsibility to go over the Terms & Conditions for any service they choose to use:

Likewize.jpg

~taken from here.

I understand many people do not tend to read their service agreements -- even those who are university trained. However, you would be hard-pressed to find any legal authority asserting that people do not need to know the information provided in the Terms and Conditions for any service they use.

@syMm1234 wrote:

... it means that once I travel and my phone is on airplane mood and not roaming I would be considered "not actively" registered on the Fido network...

You are right. It is possible a device with Airplane or Flight mode enabled might not be covered since it is not actively registered on the network. I don't actually know if roaming usage would be covered either. They may choose not to cover any device abroad. That is something you need to clarify with Likewize. I only know what they stated in their Terms and Conditions.

Cheers