cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido ask me to pay $350 for data

LIZRR
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I went to US last month with my new iphone with the default settings.  When i connected with the hotel's Wifi, I didn't not realize Fido was charing me for data fee ($10/mb) at the same time. Fido representative answered it was because I haven't turn off "data roaming" . How should I suppose to know that and why there wasn't any notification to this service? As in Canada, there's always notification when you want to use 3G services. If i do not pay for the $350, Fido will just leave it to the collection agency. Should I pay or just ignore it?

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

DaveF81
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Should I pay or just ignore it?

If you ignore it, you're going to have more trouble than it's worth. I would at least contact Fido customer service for assistance. Maybe they could work out a payment plan so you can pay it off over a specified time frame?

As for the data roaming itself. It's always a good idea to disable data access before going abroad. Most devices will warn you you're roaming (Android devices usually do, and roaming is disabled by default), even on the iPhone you would have had a notification to say you're roaming, either by a triangle or the letter R displayed along the top of the screen.

nambi
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

why is this NEws to you? this is such an old complaint this shoudln't be of any surprise to you. 

My andriod device come out of the box with roaming data blocked. if you are using an andriod you must havbe manually allowed this.  I woudl have verified this just to make sure when I traveled.