cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Why No 5G???

Pat03
I'm a participant level 2

I just heard from a Rogers representative that Fido is like the No Frills part of them and they most likely won't share their 5G network.  This is very disappointing because selling a 5G capability phone is useless with their plans.  I know the have LTE, but some people like myself want the latest technology has to offer.  👎🏻

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Pat03,

Welcome to the community!

I can understand being excited for the latest technology. Unfortunately, as you note, Fido is concentrating on improving their LTE networks and not currently offering 5G services (see here). If they do decide to offer it in the future, it will be announced on Fido.ca. 

The No Frills analogy was intended to highlight the fact that Fido -- like the other flanker brands in their segment -- can offer different services from their parent counterparts. Loblaws tends to carry more selection in the items they offer. You are not going to be able to find that specialty Black Label Olive Oil or fancy anchovies at No Frills. However, the overall prices at No Frills are generally cheaper than Loblaws. Ask No Frills why they don't carry the specialty products. Chances are they'll tell you that to keep costs lower for customers, they have to be selective in the products they offer.

Similarly, the mobile flanker brands don't get premium options like 5G, data sharing, or bundling, but their plans are often the best balance of price and features (taken from here). 

I understand some people might be offended by the No Frills analogy. It was not meant to offend anyone. However, in this context the mobile flanker brands are not similar to SuperStore. SuperStores tend to carry a more varied selection of items, even moreso than your typical Loblaws grocery location. On the other hand, the mobile flanker brands tend to reduce their service offerings compared to their parent brands.

Some people have queried why Fido sells 5G phone without 5G network. Most new phones in production would include 5G bands/frequencies. It doesn't make sense for manufacturers to not include upcoming technologies in their mid- to high-end phones. In addition, customers want new phones for a variety of reasons (ie faster chipsets, bigger screens, higher resolution cameras,.. etc). It's not fair to deny customers the newest phones just because they don't offer 5G services.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Pat03,

I'm offended by the comparison of Fido to NoFrills they are more like Super Store, If you understand the Loblaws company store tiers then you should understand why Fido does not offer certain services, and that's to keep the price at a certain level if you want the latest services technology has to offer then you will have to shop at Loblaws (Rogers).

Pat03

When the prices are almost equal then it's a steal for Fido minus the 5G. 

Hello again @Pat03,

Almost doesn't count and this is the model of Fido if you want the premium services you will have to go with Rogers.