Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Opened two accounts under my name

MakkiM
I'm a participant level 2

Hello,

During the Black Friday sales, I switched to Fido, taking advantage of their promotional offers. Their plan is priced at $39, but it drops to $34 with direct withdrawal.

However, when I attempted the switch, I was informed it had to be done via their website. I encountered glitches and couldn't complete the process online. After calling their support, they assisted in setting up my account and I received a new phone number via email. I called back to request retaining my old number, and was told the new number was temporary until the transfer finalized.

Now, I've been billed for a phone number that was activated around the same time, which includes a balance and late fees. I'm concerned about the potential impact on my credit score. It should be simple for them to verify that the "active" phone number was never used, as I never activated it, and then cancel it along with the outstanding amount. But, unfortunately, it seems impossible with telecommunications companies. They appear to operate with impunity, often disregarding the customer's voice. Consequently, I initiated a chat with Fido. After nearly two hours, being shuffled between different agents, I still have two accounts – one I wasn't aware of, and the one I'm actively using. Each chat session ended with a long hold, followed by a statement that they couldn't assist and needed to transfer me. This cycle repeated three times, and then I was left waiting behind 22 other people in queue.

Given these challenges, I am considering escalating this matter to the CRTC in hopes of getting a resolution.

4 REPLIES 4

Hi there @MakkiM , that sounds frustrating. Did you go to the fido website to port over your number from the previous carrier after you received the email that informed the port was complete? Once you received your phone Sim card and activated it, that was when you were to switch from the temporary number to your ported number. If that step was missed, then you would in theory have both numbers active. Please contact Fido support through Twitter by direct messaging have someone take a look at your account. That way you will be able to explain in writing and receive assistance in writing by direct message. I hope that works out for you 

MakkiM

Thanks for your reply. I called fido on January  17 and reported this and they gave me a case number. They said they will follow up in 10 business days. I called today and to my surprise the case is closed and I have heard nothing from Fido. I just called the "fraud" phone line but was transffered to voicemail. Seems that my option forward is to eacalate to CRTC before fido screws up my credit for an account I did not open. Mind you this is the second time this happens to me. The first time someone order a phone under my name and they fixed it and I let go the invasion of my personal information. This time I will not let them bully me into paying for something I never used. 

Hi there @MakkiM  

Please contact our fraud team again as soon as you can so we can resolve this for you. 

MakkiM

I did, three days ago, left a voicemail and nobody reached out.