cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False long distance minute charges . Dissapointment

Anmolparmar
I'm a contributor level 1

My name is savita im so dissapointed. On my recent bill they falsley charged long distance charges 13 minutes to india. I always call my mother on whats app. My mom dont even have a sim in her phone how come they charged me for something i dont use. Whats app is the best way to connect to my mother. I have been using whats app call from past 6 years why would i use my regular long distance call to get charged. I am so dissapointment with customer service. I explained over and over now im just done. Explaining putting my time into this. Very very dissapointed. So finally putting it out here. Fido community please beware. 

8 REPLIES 8

Anmolparmar

Now i am actually scared what would you do to us in next bill before i leave what false charges will occur in next month  even no matter how careful we get with all the sevices we get. you just find a way to charge. Sad thing is even the though customer comes and tells the honest story how this happened. You guys only take one this particular complaint in concern and forget how customer always been paying his bill no late bill payments. On basis of that resolving the issues you just tells us this we should do next time and  pay the bill. 

Hey @Anmolparmar,

We definitely do not want to see you go. We'll be happy to take another look at your account with you.

There are several ways to reach customer service:

- On the phone (by dialing 611 from your Fido device), you will have a call back option instead of waiting on the line

- Via live chat on Fido.ca

- By writing us a private message on our social networks (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram).

Hope to talk to you soon. 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Anmolparmar,

I can understand it's disappointing getting charged for long-distance calls when you used WhatsApp. However, WhatsApp seems to be the culprit. While it's not mentioned on their website, it appears as though the app will automatically switch to using mobile airtime minutes (within the app) if it deems the internet connection is too slow for voice calls (see here and here). It should also be mentioned that other messaging apps may also behave in a similar manner.

One suggestion would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode and manually enabling Wifi prior to making the call(s). Doing so should prevent the app from switching to mobile services if the Wifi internet connection is not sufficient. However, it also means that you wouldn't be able to make WhatsApp calls using a mobile data connection.

Phone companies cannot divert calls from within apps to cellular calls. The mobile providers do not decide which calls go over their networks. That determination is made by the phone. They merely connect calls which the phone request to be made. The mobile providers only transmit what a customer's phone sends. If WhatsApp makes a call using data, the providers will transmit data (or phone will transmit over Wifi); if WhatsApp makes the call using cellular networks, the providers will transmit it as a call over the cellular networks. In your case, it appears as though WhatsApp is making the calls over the cellular networks. Not connecting to the networks (ie Airplane or Flight mode) should prevent that from happening.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Anmolparmar

Basically you are just saying pay the bill which you didnt know you were using. And deal with whats app about it. Whats app didnt charged me bill fido did. I dont know how many time i have called to fix my bill in past. And many times i even let go for something i never used.  

Anmolparmar

But i didnt use it. If i knew why would i have used. I was clueless this can happen with me. Fido should system where they should warm that you are about to get charged i would have stopped right away. Till now i have never done it. I have 3 lines with fido. Instead of resolving this maater you just made fido free all his part by calling whats app a culprit. 

Hello again,

I understand you did not intend on making long-distance calls. Unfortunately, they removed the long-distance call notification a while ago. While there are customers, like yourself, wanting the notification prior to long-distance calls connect, other customers found the notification a nuisance if they frequently made those calls.

I also understand you believe the issue still lies with Fido. As previously mentioned, the mobile providers do not decide which calls go over their networks. They do not have the ability to monitor apps and direct calls to be dialled over the networks. However, this same issue has been reported on various networks, including the US providers. All of the major US providers (ie Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc) have similar complaints in their respective forums.  Some customers noted the issue might be related to the WhatsApp dialler API being the same as the phone's native dialler. Other customers have noted that the issue has gotten worse since Facebook purchased WhatsApp, and even moreso after Meta...

The same issue occurring over multiple different providers would suggest the issue is a single source (WhatsApp).

As also suggested previously, enabling Airplane or Flight mode might prevent the issue in the future.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Anmolparmar

Nothing helps when you see these drastic bills we get for something which we dont use. And keep calling and wasting out time with customer service to keep fixing out bill. If this what a loyal customer gets fine we dont wanna be your customer.i will be buying  all my phones outright. All my 3 lines and my other family 4 more lines. Having a most ridiculous experience when it comes to bills. I know with out 6 limes it wont affect fido's bussiness but sure it matter me because after paying close to 200 bucks and my other family memebers pay close to 300 bucks a month from past i dont know how many years wont matter to you. but see fido community enough is enough. Im cutting all ties. Thank you very much. Take care fido community. 

Hello again,

As mentioned, I understand you didn't intend on making the long-distance call, however, it was your phone which did.

I also understand wanting to switch providers due to your disappointment. However, as noted, it is not an issue with Fido. Since it happens with many other providers, if you don't take measures to prevent it (ie enabling Airplane or Flight mode before those calls), it could very well happen again on your new provider.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers