cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIDO ROAMING SCAM!

ross2023
I'm a participant level 3

Fido charged $300-400 last year due to glitch on their end, Viber App was used to make an international call with phone credits because we were unable to complete internation call through Fido. They ended up cancelling the charge as it was after numberous hours wasted and we requested they disabled all features to prevent additional charges in the future.

Fast forward to Feb 5, 2023, We visited US, and made sure to also disable phone cellular data roaming on the iPhone. My wife sent text when we arrived at the airport at 4:05PM which still shows it was sent as an iMessage on the iPhone (blue / grey around message) not the green for SMS while connected to the airports wifi.

Supervisor Nicle at Fido told us it was a valid charge, and we cannot prove data roaming was turned off, and their president who called previously to apoloigies for the mistake did not disable it. 

IF YOU GO OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY, MAKE SURE TO REMOVE YOUR FIDO SIM FROM YOUR PHONE AND THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE WHERE IT BELONGS, THEN WARN ALL YOUR FAMILY & FRIENDS THEY ARE SCAMMERS. ALSO, PAY OFF YOUR DEVICE, AND GO WITH ANOTHER PROVIDER.

SEND REPORT TO CONSUMER AFFAIRS ABOUT WHAT THEY DO & CANCLE YOUR FIDO PLAN and live a happy life without Fido. There is no text message warning to let us know your are incurring charges, and rep told us we received a text roaming is on. So network was down, unable to make calls or use data but we are still ending up forced to pay fido. 

3 REPLIES 3

FidoKenny

Hello @ross2023  and welcome to the Community.

Receiving unexpected charges is not something that we want for our customers. That's why we choose to be fully transparent when it comes to your services and the charges that you receive as well.

When it comes to Fido Roam, you receive a notification on your device as soon as you connect to a US or International Network. Invite you to check our FAQ page here where you will find all the information you need

For assistance with your account, you can find all the ways to reach us on on our contact page here.

ross2023

Fido billed us $300 last year incorrectly, as my wife made an international call through Viber (app similar to Skype, she purchased in app phone credit to make an international call to Bank of Mexico which lasted 2 hours including the hold time).

FIDO charged us 2 hours through their network, and we had to prove their system made a mistake, by sending screenshots of dozen iPhone call log showing the calls made through Fido's network showed as cancelled (0s), and the two hour call logs were made through Viber. 

Fido's ridiculous customer service reps tried to explain charge was valid, and the other line had poor reception which is why the first dozen initial calls did not go through, and maintaining the charges were "valid". It was repeated several times, this was the Bank of Mexico's landline and not a random Joe in his backyard using a cell phone.

Later one of their president's called to apologie, and we asked him to disable any features on the Fido Network that would cause similar issues in the future and make us pay a higher monthly amount than the agreed monthly contract. Since then, my wife has been unable to make or use data outside of Toronto if she is ever outside of Fido's network which is good.

Again last month we went on Vacation, and I received a $180 bill because of roaming charges! They put it this way, they disabled roaming calls within Canada but not the US as it was not requested. EVEN THOUGH my wife had absolutely no data access in the US, unless she was connected to hotel's Wifi or my hotspot. 

They told us messages were sent as an SMS (exact time was when we were in the Airport arrival and connected to WIFI), and it was explained the iPhone shows SMS as green message, but it shows those messages at the time they billed were sent as an iMessage (blue / grey bubble around message), yet they refuse to accept this and say this is a valid charge. This is most dishonest company, and will lie saying charges are valid, and rep has audacity to tell me their system has never made a mistake when last year they made a mistake.

@FidoKenny 

Transparent!?, you charged for a message received while connected to Airports Wifi stating it was an SMS, when iPhone shows it was clearly an iMessage (Blue / Grey circle around message) yet your reps refuse to accept this and have the audacity to tell me charge is valid, and the Fido system makes no mistake.

MY WIFE WAS CONNECTED TO AIRPORT'S WIFI WHEN SHE RECEIVED YOUR FIDO MESSAGE, AND HER IPHONE WAS ALSO SET TO DISABLE CELLULAR ROAMING!

YOUR COLLEAGUE CHECKED & THERE'S ACTUALLY 0MB DATA USAGE! THATS BECAUSE MY WIFE HAD NO INTERNET ACCESS THE ENTIRE TRIP. The other customer service rep was nice enough to accept this was their mistake, but told me she can only refund maximum one day or $12 as the system regisred the charges as valid.

Thank you for taking the time to Fido's "transparency". Hopefully, other purchasers will read this and understand exactly how transparent you really are. Fido is an absolute joke, and Alon **** SHOULD BE FIRED from his role as CEO. 

Hey @ross2023,

That's not what we want to hear. We'll be happy to take another look at your account. 

There are several ways to reach customer service:

- On the phone (by dialing 611 from your Fido device), you will have a call back option instead of waiting on the line

- Via live chat on Fido.ca

- By writing us a private message on our social networks (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram).

Hope to talk to you soon.