cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Charges from Scam Callers (I can't block them or the country code despite trying)

chegde
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I've been having this issue for the past couple of months now and it's caught up to me this month through no fault of my own. On my actual phone (S7 Edge), you pick a call by sliding the answer button. However, for the last month I've been using a burner phone as my phone was being repaired. The iPhone4 didn't have the slide to answer function (or it did and I never changed it). I suppose all these scam calls were being missed but as the phone is my pocket, it would call it back when the screen unlocked (butt dial which also seemed to happen way more often). Now, I've been hit with an extra 48$ bill when on my end, I've been vigilant about not picking up calls from strange numbers, tried to block a few as well, tried to block Vanuatu (which is where most, if not all of these calls were being routed through), etc. 

I have a few questions:

a. Will I be reimbursed? I would hope so, since it's a Fido number gone bad essentially.

b. Would it be possible to restrict all international incoming calls?

c. Would it be possible to get another number?

2 REPLIES 2

FidoCatherine
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi there @chegde

Thanks for reaching out about this!

Definitely sorry to read about the recent issues you had with your S7. 

You can't be billed for "international long distance fees" when receiving an incoming call, while in Canada. We can block outgoing calls, but not incoming calls, since those are free. 

@KAPABLE-K is correct in his answer above. 

If you'd like to reach out to us, feel free to get in touch through our Facebook or Twitter page. If you prefer, we can also send you a PM through here. 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @chegde,

Welcome to the community!

I have a few questions:

a. Will I be reimbursed? I would hope so, since it's a Fido number gone bad essentially.

If Fido wants to help you with the charges that is totally up to them because all the charges would be legitimate charges because you did make the calls even if it was accident.

b. Would it be possible to restrict all international incoming calls? 

Incoming calls are free its the outgoing calls you should be worried about Fido can put a block on outgoing international calls for you.

c. Would it be possible to get another number?

You can login to the My Account on Fido.ca and change your number there free of cost.