cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Fido have a list of approved signal booster I can use at my camper.

mturc
I'm a participant level 1

I have a camper near Notre-Dame-du-Laus, Québec and If I stand on the west side of my deck I get 1 bar of Fido-Ext service, sometimes it flips to 4g.  I was hoping that I could try a signal booster but I keep reading that some devices can cause interfereance for other sell phone users.
I was wondering if FIDO has a list of approved signal boosters they have tested.

Thank you,

Marc T

2 REPLIES 2

m4eller

Hi, I am running into similar issues In Metro Vancouver. There seems to be an area with reduced connectivity ( 1-2 bars within 300m radius of our place). I contaced Fido multiple times saying the connectivity is fine... There must be other rogers/ fido customers with similar issues. Which bandwidth do I need to check if I was to check for a booster myself? 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mturc,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, to answer your question, I am not aware of any list of approved signal boosters. If you choose to purchase one, you would need to ensure it's capable of boosting the compatible bands/frequencies. You can view the compatible bands/frequencies here.

That said, it is unlikely you will be able to receive Fido/Rogers signal at that location -- even with a signal booster. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any Fido/Rogers cellular towers in that area:

Notre-Dame-du-Laus.jpg

~taken from here.

There does, however, appear to be a Bell tower near that area. That would likely be the cellular tower to which your device connects when you see Fido-EXT (extended coverage). If you did purchase a signal booster for that area, you would need to ensure it is capable of boosting the compatible bands/frequencies with that cellular tower (Bell).

With regards to extended coverage, you should note that there are some limitations to its usage (ie majority of your usage needs to be your home network). If the majority of your usage has been regularly using another provider's network (Fido-EXT), access to extended coverage would be restricted. As far as I am aware, a restriction would last 30 days (see here). However, repeatedly exceeding the limits would have lead to the service being blocked. If you only visit the area and the majority of your usage remains on the Fido/Rogers networks, that restriction should not be an issue.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers