cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device upgrade and Fido Payment program

DiaMin
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I upgraded my device using Fido payment service, which was supposed to pay the outstanding balance for my previous phone, but the amount of this outstanding balance appeared on my bill. Why?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello DiaMin,

Welcome to the community!

What do you mean by:

@DiaMin wrote:...which was supposed to pay the outstanding balance for my previous phone...   ?

The Fido Payment Program is a method of financing devices. This model replaced the older subsidised model. Typically, the cost of the phone would be divided into 24 monthly payments. Occasionally, there may be upfront costs in order to keep the monthly payments lower. The payment program wouldn't really have anything to do with any previous contract. However, if you were still under contract when upgrading a phone (under previous subsidised model or new financed model) you would be required to pay the balance of your previous device. Generally, that outstanding balance would appear on your next bill.

With the subsidised plans, the cost of devices was incorporated into the cost of plans (ie Small, Medium, Large, etc). With the new model, the cost of devices is separate from the cost of plans.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers