cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deceptive contracts

Upsetcustomer
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I signed up for a contract during the boxing day period. The retention department offered me a samsung note 20 ultra for approx  $33/month for device and $45 for 21 GB of data. The plan offered over the phone was approx $84/month including taxes. The CSR I spoke with had also waived the $45 activation fee. 

A month later, I receive a bill for $185. The $45 activation fee was never waived and my device payment is just over $93/month. Great!

I spoke with a supervisor that suggested I put a down-payment on the phone. No!

I spoke with someone from the office of the president. The lady maintained that I am at fault because I didn't read the "contract" emailed to me. 

Here's my understanding of the contract. The contract took place over the phone between the CSR and myself when I signed up. The emails sent were to be a confirmation of the details discussed over the phone or in other words, simply a receipt for the transaction. 

According to fido, NO! The emails sent with the deceptive contractual practice takes precedence over the telephone contract which I agreed to. The lady from the office of the president offered me two choices, I can either return the device or they will offer me the same plan for $89.27 for 15 months and $64/month for device + $45/month for data for the remainder of the 9 months remaining in the contract. 

The generous offer of 15 months was increased from 12 months after half an hour of argument and continued use of condescending tone by the fido representative. Great customer service once again. Entangle people in false contracts and then blame them for it because they put faith in the information provided. 

At this point, I am frustrated with fido. Only reason I haven't left is because their competitors are no longer offering boxing day deals. Mentioned this to the lady from the office of the president but apparently that's my problem to deal with and not theirs. 

Btw, fido internet is just as bad as their customer service. Will be switching my internet service provider soon. 

Fido also doesn't have 5G on their wireless mobility services. They will happily sell you a 5G phone though. 

Unhappy fido customer to say the least. 

1 REPLY 1

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Upsetcustomer,

Welcome to the community!

A month later, I receive a bill for $185. The $45 activation fee was never waived and my device payment is just over $93/month. Great!

When doing these upgrades over the phone and you are told the activation fees will be waived, usually it takes 2 to 3 billing cycles to be credited back to you. The first invoice could be a bit high because the invoice will be prorated if the changes were made within your billing cycle.

I spoke with someone from the office of the president. The lady maintained that I am at fault because I didn't read the "contract" emailed to me. 

Here's my understanding of the contract. The contract took place over the phone between the CSR and myself when I signed up. The emails sent were to be a confirmation of the details discussed over the phone or in other words, simply a receipt for the transaction. 

I totally agree with you the conversation would be your contract and the email would be a receipt/confirmation of what was discussed but it was also your responsibility to read the email to make sure everything matches and if they were discrepancies you could contact them right away. Never the less I do not think it's your fault.

According to fido, NO! The emails sent with the deceptive contractual practice takes precedence over the telephone contract which I agreed to. The lady from the office of the president offered me two choices, I can either return the device or they will offer me the same plan for $89.27 for 15 months and $64/month for device + $45/month for data for the remainder of the 9 months remaining in the contract. 

I'm surprised this issue went all the way to the office of the president and they did not pull the call and fix this issue, I would recommend you reach out to one of the community administrators and they can look into this for you. From my experience, they are rockstars when it comes to solving issues like this.

Fido also doesn't have 5G on their wireless mobility services. They will happily sell you a 5G phone though. 

I understand your frustration but this is no fault of Fido. Sure they do not provide 5G service that's because they are a flanker brand of Rogers and offer lower-priced plans. None of the other flanker companies offer 5G services.