cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data roaming charge when my phone tells me I am on fido

guoqingyu
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I was charged for 8 buck last monthfor data roaming when I was at the duty free store in the states.

I am using Samsung GS4 and I had my Mobile data enabled, Data roaming disabled.

For all three days traveling in the states, it didn't cost me anything for data roaming because roaming was not enabled and phone signal tells me I am roaming.
Until I am at the border and connected to FIDO and data connected so I checked email, etc.

I called customer service wondering how I could be charged for roaming when I am on fido network. I was told I am still in the states and apparently fido is smart enough to judge me by my physical location instead of what wireless network my phone is connected to.

I was told to take full responsibility because fido network says I roamed. Anyway, don't trust fido when it tells you you are at home, you could still be roaming.

***Edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

If data roaming was still disabled, you should not have been able to connect to the US network for data and therefore there shouldn't have been any roaming charges. Fido can not charge you based on where you are. They can only charge you roaming if you were actually roaming, which by definition means using another network. If Fido is claiming you roamed, then they are claiming you used data on another network.

Any chance you enabled data roaming when you were at the border?

Wufai
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Even if it is a trickle roaming data, 10kB, you will still be billed $8 for the 50MB data.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2
If you're on the fido network it shouldn't be even a trickle. Same with if data roaming is disabled.