cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data overusage

rkbrar
I'm a participant level 1

I had activated free data byte for an hour but by the evening i got a message regarding overusage of data.I don’t understand why?

3 REPLIES 3

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @rkbrar,

Welcome to the Community!

Data Bytes allow you to get 1 extra hour of data, 5 times per billing cycle and I assure you that the data sessions initiated through Data Bytes don't count towards the data that comes with your plan.

It's important to keep in mind that there can be a delay of 8-12 hours for My Account to be up to date with your usage, but the data notifications are sent in almost real time.

If you received a data notification, it would be only to notify you that the data in your plan was used up to 90% or 100%, without taking into account any usage done through Data Bytes.

Let us know if you have any questions.

uvgnosuv

Hi guys, recently my data is overused due to the iPhone update. Technically yesterday I turned on the data because my house wifi was rubbish. After 5 minutes I received a message from Fido saying I've used 90% of the data. I turned it off and 8 minutes later I turned on again and they said I've used 100%. 

I called the Fido support this morning and they said it was because iPhone was updating itself by the time I used the data, and they burned the data faster. But my data was only reloaded yesterday, and after like 10 minutes in the evening, my whole cycle was gone. I just want to know is there anyone who has the same issue or has encountered something like this before? Sad Thank you. 

Hey @uvgnosuv,

Congrats on your first post!

I can understand that having all the data used up in the beginning of the cycle is not a pleasant situation Sad

Most software updates can use between 1.5 to 2 GB of data, therefore it's recommended to update only once you have access to a WiFi connexion. Other updates can use even more data, which is why Apple doesn't allow major iOS updates over cellular. For example, you can update from 12.1.2  to 12.1.3 over LTE, but not from 12.1 to 12.2 as that would use up too much data.

You can also check out a few tips and tricks on how to limit your data usage in our Community's Blog here.

If you continue using the data from your plan for the remainder of the cycle, regular over usage fees will apply. You can check out the applicable rates on your online account under Usage and Services - Mobile - View full plan details.

If you'd like to be able to keep using your data and avoid over usage fees, we can always look into options of changing your plan to one that comes with more data. We can send you a PM right here on the Community or you can reach out to us through here.

Hope this helps!