cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working or working inconsistently

spark1
I'm a participant level 2

The data on my iPhone 6 works very inconsistently. Sometimes there's no problems and sometimes it just doesn't work. This is all in Metro Vancouver, larger Vancouver itself so I don't think it's a coverage issue. 

I have cellular data and roaming switched on. Enable LTE says "Voice & Data". 

The biggest problem is when I try to use Google Maps and it says I'm offline. The toggle on Google Maps under Cellular Data settings is on, same for most apps I use. 

Sometimes it seems like my work's wifi connection isn't working but that it's blocking data from working. Is that a thing?  But other times I'm nowhere near a wifi connection (i.e. on the bus) and I can't connect to the data network. 

I don't think I'm missing a setting because I've had this phone for over a year and it has only being doing this over the last 3 or 4 months I think. 

What could be going on? 

5 REPLIES 5

FidoKenny

Hey @spark1

So the slow speed on your device happens indoor and outdoor as well?

Also, are you on the latest iOS version for your iPhone?

And you have trouble connecting to any WI-FI connection? Are there some that work better then others?

@Community: Any other iPhone user noticed slow speed on their iPhone in this Vancouver area?

spark1

Yes I'm on the latest iOS version. 

Data sometimes doesn't work inside and outside but it's not slow, it doesn't work at all. 

I do have trouble connecting to Wifi and data at my workplace (a university with various wifi connections including the secure one I connect to). But that's not the only place I have this problem. It seems to happen anywhere at anytime. I can't fathom a pattern to when it doesn't work.  

Thank you very much for the clarification. 

Could you clarify what you mean by "trouble connecting", does it show as connected but you cannot browse? Or your unabled to toggle the option? 

Also, as potential fixes: 

Have you tried to factory reset your iPhone 6? 

Have you tried your SIM card in another phone? Does your data issue persist? 

Let us know! 

spark1

I mean that the phone shows 3 or 4 data bars but Google Maps and other apps will say "No internet", email will not load, I won't receive iMessages or photos via text, etc. So all signs point to being able to use data but it just doesn't work. Except when it does... To be clear, it works more often than it doesn't work - maybe 85-15%. But that 15% can be infuriating, especially if I need to find a place and Google Maps doesn't work. 

I haven't tried a factory reset. On what basis could that help? Is there possibly a setting that could be reset?

I don't have another phone to test my SIM with. 

FidoKarl
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

You can try to reset the network settings of your iPhone to see if that helps. The reason we recommend to factory reset it's in case that you might have some settings or apps that might block your data access. 

We also recommend to try your SIM card into a different phone just to rule out your phone to be the source of the problem. Since you don't have another phone you can visit one of our stores, you'll be able to try it out there.

I hope this helps.